Pepper varieties (2019), including Ajvarski

Comments

• Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭

Great video with some good information! We decided to explore growing different kinds of peppers this year, and I actually came across the habanada peppers she talks about. I think they will be good for adding flavor to my hot sauces without the extra heat, so I'm going to be trying those this year. Interesting what she said about the yellow and orange bells. I'm going to be trying some of those this year too. Guess I'll see if I get the same results.

We also decided to try growing some super hot peppers, with the idea of selling them. So, if anybody here knows any super hot pepper lovers, I'd be interested in knowing which ones are their favs. 🙂

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Leslie Carl Pepper Joe's for hot hot peppers. theyve been around for some time. Also lots of how to vid's and gen info about growing them, and lots of recipes. free seeds with EVERY order they say.

I tried the red bell last summer and she is spot on. My peppers left on the vine very long after they were full size and turning red also had bad spots, sometimes badly. So I picked them green, brought them in and let them turn red in the house but I had to watch them and process, eat, freeze, dry or what ever as soon as they were red or they starting getting soft/aging.

There did you find the habanada?

I highly recommend the Ajvarski.

• silvertipgrizz

@Lisa K Which seeds did you get? Keep us up to date on your progress through the season as you have time. I plan on doing the same.

• Leslie Carl
    edited March 2020

@silvertipgrizz Thanks for the tip about Pepper Joe! I actually got the habanada seed from our business partner who has a friend that sells seeds in his store. He gave us a bunch of last years seeds and the habanadas were included with them. I had never heard of them, or seen them anywhere before but liked the description. So I decided to give them a try. Baker Creek sells the seeds though. https://www.rareseeds.com/habanada-sweet-pepper

• Kelley
    Kelley Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

My son has about 10 different varieties but I don't know what all he is growing. I know we use them all though.

• silvertipgrizz

@Leslie Carl Have you tasted them yet or is this your first season to grow them?

• Leslie Carl
    edited March 2020
  • silvertipgrizz

@Leslie Carl Ok, I'm excited for you too so keep us updated on how the do for you as you have time.

I saw somewhere that they only grew to about 2 foot and if that's the case it will leave more room for the hoard of other peppers cukes and tomato's I need room for. I'll update on my progress as well.