MORINGA Superfood: Starting From Seed

Comments

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is another YouTube link for growing Moringa from Moringa For Life in Vista CA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMtJknO199I (you will need to copy the link and paste it).

Also a link to their website - https://www.moringaforlife.com/

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lisa K I'll have a look at the web site. She is one of the first vids I watched when I first learned of moringa...thank you for posting..I'm hoping it is one I have not seen yet..I"m getting ready to plant my seeds direct in the ground can't wait... I love moringa!!!

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,461 admin

Moringa is amazing. I'm particularly impressed by how it can clean water.

• Lisa K

@silvertipgrizz you are welcome, their website also has videos.

@judsoncarroll4 it is definitely one of my new favorite plants.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

I bought two tiny ones last year. I planted one in the yard, just being hopeful, and the other in a large pot. We had an early hard freeze last year and the moringa in the yard did not make it. I had moved the other one inside for the winter. Discovered my yorkie really likes it as well and he stripped the tree before I noticed. A local gardener told me not to give up on it. So it got a cardboard "collar" around the whole planter to stop that little pest lol. When I moved it out in Spring it had started putting on leaves again. Two days outside and the snails stripped it. Sigh... So I used tulle around it until I had the snails in check and it has grown wonderfully! I'm so glad because I used the dried leaves from last year in my powdered greens mix and they really taste good! Who knows, if I have enough leaves I might even share with my little pest 😂

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

My memory is that Moringa sprouts are very beneficial for ones health. Tight on timr and can't quickly find the reference. Sorry.

• Momma Mo
    Momma Mo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

We had a moringa tree that grew beautifully last year. We harvested the leaves and cut it back in the fall and mulched and covered it for the winter. This spring, when we uncovered it, we thought it hadn't made it through the winter. But, in early May, it came out from the roots and is flourishing. We have several new ones growing from seeds planted this spring! We are in the southwestern part of the USA.

• Lisa K

I saw an interesting headline about which is better Moringa or Matcha green tea, I did not read the article but it got me thinking and I came up with my own mixture where I take equal amounts of Moringa and Matcha tea I also grind up 1 tsp. of Milkweed seed and Ashwagandha root which I add. Then I make my version of Starbuck's Green Tea Frappachino but with much less sugar (I only sweeten with Stevia) and either Almond or Coconut milk.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭✭

I've grown moringa from seed. First I soak the seeds. Then put them in a plastic sandwich bag and put in a drawer until they sprout. Then transfer to potting soil. It is a very fast growing tree, a superfood and all parts are edible.

• Lisa K

Thanks @annbeck62 I tried last year without success, so I will try your method!

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I first heard about Moringa a couple of years ago. I came across it in a youtube video I thought sounded interesting. I can't remember but it's one of these two. He made his own super greens powder and Moringa was one of the ingredients. I've been dying to know more about this plant and I want to try growing some myself to make my own super greens powder ever since.😊

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX4kq4QfYRA&ab_channel=RobGreenfield

• monica197
    monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love adding a few leaves to my morning chlorophyll drink.

I am experimenting with growing it in a very large pot on my porch - so far it is doing well.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I have 2 of these. Rareseeds.com has a dwarf variety. I started the seeds by soaking them for 48 hrs (and changing the water every 4 while I was awake) then put into small pots with soil. They then sprouted up. One is currently flowering but I haven't gotten any seeds.

• Lisa K

Thanks @Cornelius another method I am going to try!

• Cornelius

@Lisa K No problem! Also the dwarf variety to my knowledge is only availbe on Baker creek (rareseeds.com) and since they have a smaller root system they do better in pots than the non-dwarf varieties.

• Lisa K

@Cornelius I love Baker Creek and I just added them to my Cart!

• Cornelius

@Lisa K That's awesome! Let me know how they do!

• Lisa K

@Cornelius will do! 😃

• MissPatricia
    MissPatricia Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

A friend gave me a small plant, which she started for me. I have been able to keep it alive even though my kittens have knocked it over several times. I have brought it inside lest I lose it on a too cool night. I am going to listen or read the item at the top of this page to learn more. So far, I have only ever used purchased moringa powder, but my plan is to save money by using leaves from my own plant. Somebody must have a very healthy dog--and snails too!

• MissPatricia

Guess I won't read or listen...I get a page to Dr. Mercola, not moringa.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MissPatricia Strange..I can't get any of the above links to work..not mine or any of the rest of them....I'll find them again and post them as soon as I get a chance.

Although, if you search for the moringa for life link on duck or google it might/should come up for you. also there are many other links across the net for moringa info.

• MissPatricia

My friend who gave me my moringa said that I could include it in stir-fries, I think. So I have also put it in my crock pot when I am cooking up bones for stock. Seems an easy way to enjoy the health benefits. Will try growing some from seeds that she gave me.

• omi
    omi Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

I've been gifted some seeds I'm going to soak tomorrow! Thanks to everyone that posted video info.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

@annbeck62 My moringa sprouted when I followed your instructions! 😁

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭✭