Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

edible trees (not just the fruit!) — The Grow Network Community
It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop Choose seeds wisely.

-Confucius

edible trees (not just the fruit!)

Gail HGail H Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

Seeing the discussion on all the the edible salad greens reminded me of how much my kids loved to snack on young Japanese maple leaves. I looked them up and found this really interesting article.

One that they left off was redbud. The young leaves, buds and tiny seed pods are edible.

I think I'll go poke around in the woods and see what's "cooking"!

Comments

• toreytorey Posts: 1,640 admin

@Gail H Excellent post! Thanks so much!

• judsoncarroll4judsoncarroll4 Posts: 1,630 admin
    edited March 3

Neat! I've never tried Japanese maple! I've had pine, spruce, birch, redbud, sassafras, maple seeds... maybe a couple of others... I'll have to try more!

• LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 2,422 admin

If you can get a cinnamon tree...the bark & if I remember correctly, the leaves can be used as well. I ran across another exotic tree lately that is similar.

I think it is so interesting that there are so many nutritious edibles that we pass by on a regular basis and we often don't even have a clue. It is such a fascinating thing and it so much more than just tree saps.

I enjoy all of this new to me information. Thanks!

• MelindaMelinda Greater Atlanta AreaPosts: 127 ✭✭✭

Interesting. Thank you for posting.

• Obiora EObiora E Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭

@Gail H Thank you for sharing. It did not mentioned Black Locust. If I remember correctly the seed pods can be fried as a fritter and eaten. Also with regards to Slippery Elm Bark, I may sometimes use the powder and add to cornbread batter and pancake batter.

• judsoncarroll4judsoncarroll4 Posts: 1,630 admin

I had my first red buds of the season today! Still just buds in the sandhills of NC