Elderberry plants came today!

VickiP
VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Growing Medicinals

Last fall I ordered 10 elderberry plants from our Department of Conservation and they came in. They are very healthy and much larger than I expected! We have been reconfiguring our garden and decided to make some planting areas for permanent crops so some of the berries are going into that area. We also have a spot that retains water so we are going to plant some there. Both areas get plenty of sun but one also gets high shade during the hottest part of the day. I have never raised Elderberries as they are a common wild plant in our area, but as I get older I am less inclined to go to where the berries are. If anyone has any tips on cultivation of them I would appreciate it.

Comments

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

Good to hear. Just got my order form from our local conservation district. They are offering elderberries for the first time. Getting ready to put my order in for some. Usually get excellent plants and trees from them. They will arrive for spring planting. Can hardly wait. Good luck with yours.

• Melinda
    Melinda Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

Following the thread. I just received some cuttings that I’m going to grow.

• VickiP

I don't know how well they will do, or which place will work best but we planted them yesterday. Time will tell I guess.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@VickiP It's doubtful that you received cuttings, but if you did, it's a good idea to cut off the new growth during the first year so they can concentrate on root development.

If they were received as bare root plants with a root system, then presumably they should do fine. It would depend on what type of care they were given and when they were dug up and the like. Assuming they too were cultivated from a wild variety they should do well wherever they are put as long as the conditions are favorable to them.

• pamelamackenzie
    pamelamackenzie Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

I tried planting elderberry cuttings in the spring a couple years ago. They grew or sprouted a couple of leaves and then died. Any hints on keeping the cuttings going?

• VickiP

Yes, they are a native variety and they were bare root plants. I am hopeful they will do well. The price was great-.90 per plant in bundle of 10, so even if I lose a few I will still consider it a good deal.

• tawitt63
    tawitt63 Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

Awesome!

• VickiP

Just an update--my elderberries are leafing out! I hope they continue to do well, they look really healthy.

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

I have two additional elderberry plants due to be delivered within the week. Cannot wait to add them to the one I got in the fall for the cross pollination. Saw new growth on the one planted so I’m encouraged. Happy planting!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

VickiP Awesome! I'm so jealous. We do not have the black growing wild here. Have been looking for some bare root or cuttings but most everywhere I have checked were either out of stock or wanted some crazy price like $40 a plant or something. Plus the shipping to Alaska is usually very steep from most companies if they will even ship to Alaska.

I wonder if your Department of Conservation would ship any out of your state? Any amount would be great but I would love to have about 20 plants someday.

You are very blessed to have this option and to have them growing wild there as well.

• VickiP

@vickeym They do ship out of state for additional charges. I think you would need to contact them directly about that. I checked and they no longer have elderberries listed but here is the address: https://mdc12.mdc.mo.gov/Applications/TreeSeedling/?page=1

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

VickiP Thank you. I will look them up and see what I can do. Maybe next year if I can't find anything this year.

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

I have two young plants started last year and am anxiously awaiting the spring warmth to see if they survived winter. We had a milder winter this year so I am hopeful.

This Week's Leaders