Potato growers - favorite way to grow spuds!

13»

Comments

• happy-trails
    happy-trails Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Of course you can get a more impressive harvest in the ground, but I absolutely love getting giant grow bags and watching them poke and expand against the sides of the bags as they grow throughout the season! It's exciting and kids love to have this visual as well for encouragement!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

@happy-trails Anything that encourages kids to have an interest in gardening is a plus to me. I just love the amazement and joy when kids work and plant in gardens.

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

I asked this question in a separate post but got no answers. I'm interested to know where you all get seed potatoes. This is only my 2nd year growing potatoes, and I think I paid way too much last year for seed potatoes. I surely didn't get my money back in harvested potatoes. I have some store bought organic potatoes that started to sprout and I saved them as possible seeds. I know folks say not to use store bought but if they're already sprouting, can I figure they're safe?

What's your favorite source for seed potatoes?

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

@SherryA As far as seed potatoes, last year I bought mine at Tractor Supply. I can’t tell you the price but I remember it being reasonable. I saved some of my harvest to use as seed potatoes for this year. I do try to get seed potatoes at local farm and garden and ag centers in my area if possible. Sometimes I don’t think about it in time and my favorites are gone. Local hardware stores in our area also seem to carry them in early spring. Some of my favorite family owned places for seeds might carry them too like Seeds for Generations and Mary’s Heirloom Seeds. Happy planting!

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

Thank you, @burekcrew86 !