Polyphenols: yet another reason for enjoying 10 Veggies + Fruits daily...
Poly who? you ask. ok, Science in 1 minute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSGrOQIdi4M
A word to the wise: Eat real food, limit to 1-2 meals daily, mostly brightly colored veggies & fruits. Why ?
They are rich sources of polyphenols: Poly means many, & phenolic acids include red fruits, black radishes, onions, & spices, etc. The second broad group are the flavonoids, including isoflavones found in soy, anthocyanidins found in berries & wine, flavones found in herbs, flavonols found in broccoli, tomato & tea, flavanones found in citrus fruits & juices, and flavan-3-ols found in cocoa, tea & wine. Finally, there are resveratrol and stilbenes from wine and nuts, curcumin in spices, and lignans in flaxseeds. - So what do they do?
- Prevent platelet clumping
- Improve artery (endothelial) function
- Improve arterial flexibility
- Lower cholesterol
- Lower blood pressure
- Improved/longer life span Yes!
Top sources: Cloves, Star anise: (Organic clove/star anise tea is a powerful option). Cocoa powder, Mexican oregano, dried Celery seed, Black chokeberry, Dark chocolate, Flaxseed meal, Black elderberry, Chestnut, sage, rosemary, spearmint, thyme, capers, basil, & curry. - BUT, No one is going to eat 100g of the above at once, yikes!
Okay, just for you these you can love:
1. Black elderberry
2. Black chokeberry
3. Black currant
4. Highbush & lowbush blueberry. Organic Wild blueberries have 60x more Anti-oxidants
6. Globe artichoke heads
7. Sweet cherry
10.You can find 90 🤩 more!
Source: Pérez-Jiménez, J., Neveu, V., Vos, F., & Scalbert, A. (2010). Identification of the 100 richest dietary sources of polyphenols: An application of the phenol-explorer database. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 64.
Remember, your body craves foods that give your cells LIVE information... 🤗
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 528 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter