Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Zipper cream pea? — The Grow Network Community
It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop Choose seeds wisely.

-Confucius

Comments

• pamelamackenziepamelamackenzie Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

Thanks for this post. That reminds me that I purchased some zipper pea seeds. I need to calendar when to plant so I don't forget. This is my first year trying to grow them.

• judsoncarroll4judsoncarroll4 Posts: 1,630 admin

Zipper cream is very good. Dixie Lee is still my favorite thought!

• silvertipgrizzsilvertipgrizz Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pamelamackenzie

@judsoncarroll4

It looks like I'll have to try it then. I never heard of it until today.

If you combine zipper cream and purple hull, that comes close to Dixie Lee...

• silvertipgrizzsilvertipgrizz Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 I have purple hull, love them. I wonder if you could cross the zipper and purple hull to result in your own 'Dixie Lee"?

I sure am ready for some harvesting. As I look out side at the cloudy grey sky that kept me inside all day during the rain.... so much work, so many projects, so much to plant and so little time...

@silvertipgrizz I grew up on two main legumes (not including peanuts) Dixie Lee field peas and Speckled Butterbeans. Both had been grown and passed down for generations in my family.... and we lost them when the older generation died out. I finally found Dixie Lees again... and honestly, nothing is quite as good.... I found a Speckled Butterbean that is close to what we had, but still not quite.... I think if yu find an heirloom that you love so much, you compare everything else to it.... KEEP IT, SAVE IT, PROPAGTE IT!