Fermented foods, digestion and health

Comments

• Kelley
    Kelley Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the article. It was very helpful.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kombucha is my thing! I make it almost every week - sometimes every week and a half. So many flavors I love but blueberry from the blueberries I grow and blackberry cherry are my favorites right now. I haven't made kimchi in a while but my oldest daughter loves it. She eats it by the jar. Going to have to make so soon. I've made sauerkraut before but we live kimchi better. I used to have a friend from India who showed me how to make yogurt from a starter. I used to make a huge mixing bowl of yogurt once a week. I'd leave it in the oven with the light on or in the garage in the car where it was warm overnight and wake up to yummy yogurt in the morning.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure feel better when I have yogurt every day. I thought I'd save some money by using up some hot cereals from the cabinet, but I think I should make some yogurt this weekend.

I use my Instant Pot, and I like this recipe https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-yogurt/

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle I think you should! I'd love to make some in my instant pot but I haven't tried it b/c I have to use almond or coconut milk. Years ago when my girls were little I used to make it all the time with cows milk. It was easy to make and that was way before we had Instant Pots. I've read a lot of posts using alternative milk in Instant Pots and seen a lot of failures. So, I haven't wanted to waste money trying to figure it out right now.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kbmbillups1 yeah, I see a lot of shady stuff posted. I worry about the cold method that is going around. I know they use "special" milk, but people are not careful, and they don't read.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,498 admin
    edited April 2020

I ferment all the time. Right now, I am eating a great fermented hot sauce I made - jalapenos, tomatillos, onions, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper, lacto fermented. It is really, really good with my lunch of shredded pork, guacamole, sour cream and corn chips.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 Your description made me hungry!