Eating Weeds: Why Not?

Comments

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

Sure as long as it is not foraged from where the dogs pee.

Often the weeds are the first salad greens of the year.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Yep. My first greens of the season are always dandelions, poke, violets and plantain!

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

@Jens not just where dogs pee! Cats as well :D

but also not from anywhere that may have been sprayed - foraging from our own yards is probably the safest

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't help but point out that wildlife could likely pee on any of our crops. Wouldn't a good wash be enough?

• OhiohillsLouise
    OhiohillsLouise Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

One persons junk is another persons treasure.....one persons weeds are another persons food. Just a thought.

• TiffanyMilner
    TiffanyMilner Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

When I lived in the city I had the most beautiful huge dandelion you ever saw! Some people thought I should “get rid of it.” The leaves were two feet long or more. One day I had a little Asian woman with a walker cutting them. When I asked her what she was going to do with them she motioned t her mouth.

I am a big eat your weeds girl so it made me laugh that here she was a poor old woman harvesting my weeds for free. When I have seen them sold for overpriced rates at the health food store. I guess it made me feel good. At the same time I felt supremely mad and disappointed in my fellow Americans. Those who buy this super food at the store are the same ones who wouldn’t want it growing in their perfect lawn...

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 Thank you for sharing. My greens this have been Stinging Nettle (homegrown and purchased in store), Garlic Mustard (foraged), Violet leaves, wild garlic/onions, White Yarrow, Lemon Balm, and Purple Deadnettle. I haven't harvested any Dandelion greens yet, just the flowers.

• Leediafastje
    Leediafastje Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

We grow and have been eating primrose leaves and flowers. Dandelion greens along with some lemon balm make a tasty salad in the spring. Although I grow violets, I haven't tried violet leaves. Time for something new on my plate.

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

I see a lot of lists for perennial vegetables, and things like dandelions, nettles and lemon balm are never on the list. I guess that just leaves more for us!

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

I regularly harvest weeds from the yard in the spring. London rocket, common mallow, prickly lettuce, purslane, I think those are the big ones. Sometimes it is a race to see who gets to them first, the chickens or us. We also found a rock squirrel eating the common mallow a few weeks ago. Have not touched the veggie starts and hoping it stays that way 🤞🏻. Prickly pear and yucca grow out In The desert like weeds and we go forage for those as well.