Zone 6b Ticks are out and active!

2»

Comments

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I have tried eating garlic, it didn't help me but I appear to taste good as I can't go outside without some protection or I get eaten up.

• Ferg
    Ferg Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

I'm not ashamed to say that I poison my cats for ticks and fleas with a vet product. There's only one that I trust (other Rx and some of the cheapie knock-off stuff at the dollar stores or walmart actually have made my pets pretty sick and did nothing for the fleas/ticks). One of the things I don't like about the south at all is the killer fleas. Haven't seen a single one this year. gottseidank.

My Cats rule the roost and I'm not playing around with these Southern Killer Insects.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,633 admin
    edited September 2020

A simple thing that hasn't been mentioned is to wear white. I'm not sure why this is but I do know from experience that in a group of people, the ones wearing dark (black) colours will get covered with ticks while the ones wearing white have very few. So not an insecticide but may be a helpful addition to herbs or EOs.

• VickiP

I use a vet treatment for my pets as well. It is pricey but they are worth it. And yeah, I have had some over the counter stuff make them sick, so I stick with the vet stuff.

• Ferg

@VickiP it is terrifying to watch your elder Partner-in-Crime Kitty have a seizure from 'medicine' and know you can't use anything else for almost a month and the damn fleas and mites are torturing her anyway. Grrr hiss.

• VickiP

I know! Mine didn't have seizures but he started drooling and staggering, it was horrifying. It was a topical so I could wash it off and he recovered quickly but I never used an over the counter with him again. My dogs just don't get any relief from the over the counter stuff so I have to get the prescription and so far it has worked with no problems.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

@Ferg and @VickiP That is terrifying. I hope that your cats recovered from that.

• VickiP

@Cornelius Mine did but it was terrifying. He didn't appear to have any lasting effects from it.

• Ferg

@Cornelius Thank you (-: She did, and we learned to trust what we knew.

• GardenMama
    GardenMama Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Do you mind sharing what you use from the vet? My indoor kitties wound up with fleas somehow. We've treated the house and the Oct tropicals pretty much made the fleas laugh. Luckily we are only finding a couple here and there but its frustrating so we are headed to the vet Monday. I believe they use Bravecto topical for cats.