chicken soup

RhondaBusby
RhondaBusby Posts: 22 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Cooking

What is ya'lls favorite chicken soup recipe? I usually just throw whatever I have in it, but want to try something new☺️

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Add cheese filled pasta and green chilies/green salsa to the usual stuff.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

Sliced potatoes with slices of yellow cheese, cream of chicken or chicken noodle soup, kielbasa sausage, cut up. Either cook in the microwave or in the oven with the lid on at 350F for almost 45 minutes to an hour. Serve hot with a garnish or green salad. (The soup is a substitute for Cream of Mushroom.)

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

Chicken, carrots, celery, leek, salt, black pepper, bay leaf, onions.

Bring to boil and let cook slowly over quite a long time.

That is my base stock. I add rice or small noodles to make it a little more filling afterwards.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

I usually make mine from the left over scraps and bones from a roasted chicken, especially the carcass. I'll toss that in a pot with onion, garlic and celery tops and pan drippings from the roasting pan... let it simmer until the meat comes off and all the gelatin has melted down. Then, I'll taste and season and add more veggies - parsley, sage (or rosemary, or oregano) and thyme, usually a little turmeric... onions, celery, carrots, maybe some peas... salt and pepper to taste.... sometimes a little rice or pasta.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Something a bit different.

Chicken Lime Soup

½ cup fine chopped onion

½ cup each red & green peppers, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1 Tbsp olive oil

1 large tomato, chopped

½ tsp oregano

6 cups chicken broth

4 strips orange peel

5 Tbsp fresh lime juice

2 – 6 inch corn or flour tortillas, cut into strips and fried in a bit of cooking oil till crisp

Thin slices of lime

2 small pickled Serrano peppers, seeded and chopped

Black pepper

3-4 cups cooked chicken, chopped

In a large saucepan, cook onions, peppers and garlic until tender. Stir in tomato and oregano. Stir in chicken broth. Stir in orange peel and lime juice. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Remove orange peel. Stir in cooked chicken. Garnish with sliced lime and fried tortillas.

• pamelamackenzie
    pamelamackenzie Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

You can make an Asian-style breakfast soup like Khoa Tom Gai (Thai Rice Soup with Chicken) by adding things like rice, cilantro and ginger, soy sauce, or even fish sauce. Or you can use lemon grass for an Asian taste. If you are not used to fish sauce, you might want to leave it out. You can find many recipes online. Gai is the word for chicken in Thai. Tom means boil I believe. Khoa in this sense means rice.