Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Creative squirrel deterent for garden... — The Grow Network Community
Everything you sow, sooner or later you have to reap. Life is a planting. Choose seeds wisely.

- Unknown
(recommended by TGN Member @VickiP)

Creative squirrel deterent for garden...

judsoncarroll4judsoncarroll4 Posts: 1,564 admin

I guess I'll find out today if this works. Squirrels are trying to dig up my seeds in the garden bed... and I don't want to harvest them just yet, in case of emergency... They haven't done any real damage yet, and usually stop once the seeds germinate, so I'll try to deter them for a few days. I just sprinkled crushed red pepper and dog hair all over the beds. Then, I put out a couple of creative "predator decoys" … horseshoe crab shells. If I saw a couple of those things glaring at me, and didn't know what they were, I'd sure run!

Comments

• silvertipgrizzsilvertipgrizz Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with your necessary experiment and let us know how it works...as most of us have problems or have had, with the sweet little tree climbers and seed eaters and I have never seen anything that works to deter them..

• judsoncarroll4judsoncarroll4 Posts: 1,564 admin

So far, the squirrels seem pretty freaked out by the crab shells. One of them took a look at then and ran off, anyway. I also sprinkled crushed red pepper all over (good thing I buy huge containers of it), dog hair and coffee grounds... and as soon as the sun goes down I'll start peeing around the perimeter. I'll start installing some deer fencing next week.

• silvertipgrizzsilvertipgrizz Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those little sweets sure are fast and it's fun watching them 'spiral' up the tree thinking they are not seen. They're still a pain though so good luck.

• SherryASherryA Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

I'll be interested to hear if that works. Those squirrels are too darn smart for me. They dig up everything.

If not... what I can do with squirrel meat would make Bubba Gump sound ignorant about shrimp!

• Abigail FucciAbigail Fucci Posts: 24 ✭✭✭

Hmm interesting-we have problems with squirrels digging up our bulbs! And his nickname his Nutter, but he has lots of cousins around!

Your brothers have some work to do.... also, use your coffee grounds