Who grows Pumpkins and what is the best variety?

JodieDownUnder
JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin
edited November 2020 in Vegetables

Decided to have a crack at growing pumpkins this season (Australia) put seeds in pots beginning of November, transplanted out mid December and now with a lot of rain this year already, they have turned into triffids and overtaken my veggie garden. Seems lots of flowers but not much fruit, so far, although some small fruit like structures bearing now. I chose a beautiful tasting Queensland Blue I received from my neighbour last year. Dried out some seeds and popped them in an enevelope. Hoping to reap a good harvest witn 4 plants. Any tips for prolific fruit bearing?

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited March 2020

Take off tendrils because they take energy away from the fruit. If you want large pumpkins, leave 1 fertilized female flower per vine. If you want a few per vine, you are still best to keep them minimal.

Trim ends of vines and extra vines once you have chosen. I think that my grandpa left 3 vines per plant. Keep on checking.

Have compost available around the roots, but nothing too strong that will burn them. If it does get dry, water often. Make sure that you have a bit of a dip/shallow moat when it is drier to catch & hold water a little longer.

These are things that I learned from my late homesteading grandpa. He had a fantastic weedless garden. He was always on top of those weeds! He had bountiful harvests & 400+lb pumpkins.

I will always admire all he did. 🥰 He used Dill's Atlantic Giant seeds.

Have fun with your pumpkins!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@jodienancarrow Triffids! Too funny! Haven't thought about triffids in years. Gives a good visual as to what your garden looks like.