Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Making best out of temporary downsizing — The Grow Network Community
WHAT'S CHANGING IN 2021 AND HOW TO NAVIGATE IT
a free community call lead by Marjory Wildcraft this Sunday, January 24 at 2pm CST

register here➥ howtopreparefor2021.com

Making best out of temporary downsizing

csinclair461csinclair461 Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

This next week we will close on the sale of our house and move away from our yard with its trees and herbs. We will move to a big city, to a townhouse style apartment, with a small balcony instead of a yard. It is only anticipated to be for 6 months, and we will start looking for a new house after a bit. I am trying to stay upbeat and proactive even if I can’t grow a garden like I would like to this year. Before I go, I am harvesting as many of the medicinal plants in my yard as I can, of the ones I presume will be viewed as weeds. I plan to have a container garden on my balcony, and hope to find places I can get permission to wildcraft. And I can resume my studies again. Looking forward to new opportunities and exercising flexibility. Mixed with a bit of less optimistic feelings, but I try to keep those reined in. They aren’t helpful ;).

Comments

• @csinclair461 I, too, am going to be leaving a rental where I have been able to plant a lot of herbs and fruit trees. My landlords offered to let me stay as long as I want, but they are leaving this area for his job prospects. My family is about 2000 miles away, and I've decided to find a job closer to them.

It breaks my heart to leave all my hard work, but I've done it before. I hope that the next owners appreciate the work that has gone itno the yard, and that they continue it. At any rate, we are leaving things better than we found them. That's a big thing to be proud of.

Best wishes and prayers for your future home and for those new opportunities!

• OhiohillsLouiseOhiohillsLouise Posts: 121 ✭✭✭

Seeing anything growing makes me happy. So I have a grow light to see my plants flourish and that lifts my spirits. If the balcony doesn’t have enough sunlight you may consider supplementing with a grow light while you pass this time. I wish you well.

• csinclair461csinclair461 Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

thank you Louise. I have my Aloe Vera plants and grabbed some sage, rosemary, and lavender starts from my yard before I left. I brought all my pots from my house, and plan to start some comfrey, hollyhock and calendula. So I do have some growing to look forward to! I will also work on growing other things indoors as well. Today, I am still unpacking.