Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Is This A Grub On Steroids? — The Grow Network Community
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Is This A Grub On Steroids?

kbmbillups1kbmbillups1 Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭

I was planting flowers today around a small plum tree and I dug this up!! Yes, I screamed! My husband thought I was crazy until he saw the size of it! There is also a pine tree stump right next to it that was cut down probably 5 years ago.

Comments

• toreytorey Posts: 1,349 admin

@kbmbillups1 I nearly screamed just looking at the pic! I've never seen anything like that. Hope you are able to identify it and find out if there might be more.

• shllnzlshllnzl Southwestern UtahPosts: 1,217 ✭✭✭✭

I don't remember where you live, but many areas in the US get fairly large grubs in and around trees that grow into cicada beetles.

• kbmbillups1kbmbillups1 Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭

@torey @shllnzl I live in Georgia in Metro Atlanta. I have never seen a grub that big before and I've planted all kinds of flowers, veggies, bushes, etc in my yard. I guess it had been gorging on the decaying tree stump.

• bcabrobinbcabrobin Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Pretty sure it's a cicada grub. They can really freak you out at all stages of their life.

• gardneto76gardneto76 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

Grubs are just s day looking in general. I leave then in my compost pile as they break the stuff down in there. I have several grubs, not that size, and red wiggler worms that just appeared in there one day.

• kbmbillups1kbmbillups1 Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks@bcabrobin I've heard them but never seen them at any stage of their life.