Nasturtiums & What Do You Do With Them?

lmrebert
lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Herbal Medicine-Making

I planted nasturtiums last year and they keep popping up in my garden in other places.... the potted one is the original & I have 3 others that spontaneously popped up and bloom different colors... they are so beautiful and smell just like old fashioned roses! I was reading my new fire cider book from Rosemary Gladstar and I found a cider recipe with nasturtiums in it... so I put that in my 3 new batches! Can’t wait!!! What you you all use them for besides just putting them in salads?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I have never used nasturtiums medicinally but they do have medicinal properties. Diuretic. Anti-microbial. Antiseptic. Expectorant. So, useful for urinary tract infections and respiratory infections.

But I do love eating them. Leaves & flowers. You can pickle the seeds; just like capers. I bet the leaves would spice up a pesto.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I make fresh goat cheese and serve it as an appetizer with a little dollop in the center of the nasturtium flower. It is so beautiful and delicious together. But remember to check for ants first! LOL

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

Makes great pesto.

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

My neighbour has nasturtiums always growing and keeps asking me if I want some. I haven't tried them in anything but a salad, so interested to hear how the fire cider with nasturtiums turns out!

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

YES, PLEASE LET US KNOW ABOUT THE FIRE CIDER !!

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

I also use them for companion planting near squash and cucumbers to drive away pests.

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

@jodienancarrow the leaves or flowers or both for pesto?? Recipe plz!😀

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

As @Melissa Swartz mentioned, they are a great addition to your garden, in and amongst all of your plants.

But the thing to remember is, most pollinators prefer the orange colored nasturtiums. After years of using the Jewel Mix I changed to the orange varieties last year and there really is a big visible difference. I had many more pollinators attending to my garden without me having to do anything else to attract them.

So this year I purchased a bunch of orange varieties and just one pack of jewel mix for a spot of color in one certain place in my yard.

Mother nature has her own set of wishes so I am happy to help her along with her wishes.

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

@greyfurball I didn't know that, so thanks for the info, I will tell my neighbour I only want her orange ones!

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

I have not had success with them in the past. This year I ordered from Baker Creek (the Tall Trailing Mix since it will be going by a trellis). I started them in pots indoors and they sprouted and went to 4 inch pots then the garden with no issues. The are looking pretty and I am so excited lol! I will have to try you'all's suggestions once they are bigger. 😁

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

I used leaves, great peppery taste. Same recipe for basil pesto, substitute nasturtium leaves for basil leaves. Or 1/2 of each if you have both.

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@greyfurball thanks for the tip on orange being the best for companion planting! That’s is so helpful to know!

I have not made pesto from nasturtium but will definitely try it this summer!!