Building a raised bed

2»

Comments

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

Everyones raised beds look amazing! Its a lot of work getting them built and ready to plant but it does make things easier.

• dianne.misspooz
    dianne.misspooz Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

Excellent advice Greyfurball! I am noticing the same thing that you posted in my raised garden beds, only I did mine by accident. The beds that have the cardboard at the bottom and wider than the bed have no weeds growing up in them. I wish I would have discovered this for the couple beds that have weeds growing up the sides but oh well. Luckily the weeds are easy to put out right now; maybe because of our recent heavy rains. Thanks for posting this!

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

Just thought I'd let you know how this project is going right now.

First harvest some time ago. Radish that was planted between the potato rows.

The current state. Left the salads followed by kohlrabi and sugar peas

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

@Gururaj I so never thought about using the plastic sheeting underneath. I'm thinking maybe a tarp would work here (Texas) and not break down but I would need to find one that doesn't leach into the soil. @Jens it's looking great!

The spring after we moved to this location my daughter built me some raised beds. She had never built anything or even used most of the tools but she did an awesome job!

The two side beds are 4X6 feet and the middle one is 4X16 feet. The smaller bed on the left has a taller 4X4 area with a shorter 2X4 area in the front. The smaller bed to the right is reversed, having the taller 2 foot section at the top and the shorter 4 foot section in front. She also added a nice trellis at the back of the taller section. That was my first garden here. Things have been moved around and changed so much in the last 4 years but the beds are holding up great. They are untreated pine. I've got stuff all over the place now lol, letting Mother Nature take more control over things (not all of them lol) and it's working much better for me.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

I've enjoyed watching all the different materials used on this post. Raised bed gardening is extremely popular in these parts but some people do get caught out. Most of the landscaping timber in Australia is treated with a copper arsenic solution for longevity but a real no no for vegetable gardens for obvious reasons. Not sure if this practice happens world wide and with all the new gardeners getting into growing their own recently, please be aware!

• Jannajo
    Jannajo Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

U know this is on my bucket list, though I am far from realization...cannot tell u how much these pictures (& ideas) do help me; btw best to get a meter to measure emf waves, even printer plugged in sends off emf's..start now before 5G (might) come...for home we do spend much time in! Germany, Japan, this is fun!

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

@seeker.nancy what beautiful beds! The entire picture looks like it could be in Better Homes and Gardens. Congratulations to your daughter.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even though I have three raised-beds I needed something in a shady spot so I used and old bucket that my dad had and put lettuce (not from seed) my Marshmallow (on the right under the lettuce leaf) and Nettles (on the right) seedlings

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,467 admin

Here in the Austrian Alps we love not raised, but high beds. I love these and all my vegetable garden is in high beds. There are many advantages. A very important one is that I do not have to bend: I weed and harvest comfortably standing next to my high bed. It is 1m wide, so I reach all the plants easily from both sides. Another advantage - the soil warms much faster.

There Is a kind of a pattern how we fill high beds: first branches - all the cut branches and shrubs from the garden; then all the fresh garden waste, then compost... The earth sinks in every year, so I add 10-20 cm of fresh compost. I like high beds (it would be the same for raised beds) because I can cover them to protect plants from unexpected frost. That enables me to plant and harvest much earlier.

• Bigfamilyboss
    Bigfamilyboss Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

I'm doing raised beds for the first time this year. Yours look nice!

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

Look fantastic. Have much wildlife to contend with? Deer love my free lunch I provide them here in the states.

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

@jolanta.wittib in principle I agree with you 😁 but for me currently the high bed would block the sight and make the garden visibly smaller.

And the amount of organic matter to fill the beds is quite high and I can not provide that much currently.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,467 admin

@Jens when we started, My husband built one bed per year and I would put all my garden waist into it. It fills very quickly. By now we have 11 beds. Blocking the sight is, of course, a problem, but here, those who have smaller gardens build high beds somewhere in the corner or at the side of the garden. I like plants like nasturtium hanging down from high bed. Then it looks decorative as well.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

I love all the pictures of gardens everyone is sharing. How wonderful! Thanks for all of the ideas.

• valizona
    valizona Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

Love the idea of using next years raised bed as this year;s compost bin. I did the impatient gardener version of this with my current raised bed. I transferred whatever I had in my compost pile at the time into the bed, making a layer on the bottom most part. THEN I added organic soil on top. I know that the organic matter will cotinue to break down, draw earth worms, AND spare a wee bit of expense on purchased soil.

I also did something similar to this years ago but in sections of in-ground beds, It was in the desert so the beds were dug down and made lower than the ground so as to catch more water when it did rain. Hence the view was blocked because it was essentially a pit. I'd do it again in a heartbeat but this time I'd put down screens to keep the critters out.

Love all your pics!!