Alfredo for your dining pleasure

silvertipgrizz
silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in General Recipes

A dear friend shared this with me one day at work because I was whining that my favorite Alfredo lived 4,000 miles away, in one of my favorite Italian restaurants ever. John, my Italian friend and co-worker shared this with me and it is my pleasure to share it with all of you. I hope you will like it.

Alfredo Sauce

ingredients:

2 1/2 cups heavy cream

1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice

2 tsp lemon zest

12 Tbs butter (real butter)

2 cups parmesan cheese/grated

1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg

to taste white pepper (or black)

to taste salt

In a heavy saucepan stir heavy cream and lemon juice until blended. Add butter and heat til butter melts over medium heat, stirring as necessary. Remove from heat.

Add the parmesan cheese and stir until blended.

Add the lemon zest and nutmeg and stir until blended.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Heat on low heat until slightly thickened..about one minute. Watch to prevent scorch.

Cook fettuccine until firm to the bite in salted water.

Enjoy with grilled chicken (to balance the richness of the sauce), and steamed broccoli.

Note:

I used ground nutmeg once and it did change the flavor but only a little, but to me this recipe is still excellent without it. Try it and see what you think.

I always use salted butter because I don't like the taste of unsalted butter.

In case anyone doesn't have acces to butter that is marked in tablespoons on the individual wrapper, 12 TBS is

1 1/2 sticks.

I bought white pepper for this recipe and don't use it very often as I like black pepper. I think he uses it when he doesn't want people to see specks in his lush cream colored sauce for more appeal.

I use the great value brand of heavy cream and there is no taste difference in that to the more expensive brand.

Fresh juiced lemons are the only way to go as the flavor is unmatched....but I would use the real lemon if that was all I had.

ENJOY !

PS:

This tastes every bit as good as what I got at Zio's, the Italian restaurant in Tulsa that we thought was the best in town. And the best I had ever eaten.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@silvertipgrizz Looks like a great recipe! Thanks for posting.

• silvertipgrizz

@torey

The restaurant I think is still in Tulsa. I used to eat there just before my shift started and me and my co workers loved eating there. I always got their fett alfredo..it was the best I had ever eaten. I was so happy when John gave me his recipe and I've been making it for family and friends since he gave it to me...over the last 18ish years. I have never tasted better and it is so easy to make.

I forgot to mention that most of the time I make half the recipe. It is so rich I can only go about 3 servings thoughout the week means I don't have any waste, and I did when I made the full recipe unless I was cooking for more than me.

I also store it in a pint (half recipe), quart (full recipe) canning jar with plastic lid. It always stays fresh longer that way than in a bowl with a plastic wrap cover, and never in a plastic container.

I hope if you try it you and yours like it.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

We love rich & heavy foods in our household. A full recipe might not even be enough! Haha

I will post a traditional Mennonite recipe for egg noodles (that could easily be used with this sauce) & our cream gravy that just has to go with it.

We make as much as possible with whole grain flour only. Everyone agrees that white or unbleached flour looks way to sickly & lacks the wonderful nutty flavor.

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

LOVE THIS! I often make a little more simple version of this...but, I have all the ingredients on hand and I'll give it a try!

• silvertipgrizz

@Ruth Reyes-Loiacano Let us know what you think 🙂

• Kelley
    Kelley Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

Sounds great. My grandkids love alfredo chicken

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds really good! Because of my husband's diabetes we haven't eaten pasta in so long I can't remember. I learned to make really good white sauce with raw organic cashews and spices before we stopped eating pasta. My youngest daughter has made it for her small group and they couldn't tell it wasn't regular sauce. Your recipe makes my mouth water.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@kbmbillups1 Have you tried raw zucchini noodles? My first experience with a raw food menu was an alfredo sauce made with cashews as the creamy base and it was served with spiralized zucchini noodles.

• Homestead Hubby
    Homestead Hubby Posts: 40 ✭✭✭

Looks delicious. I spent a great deal of time with an Italian chef over last few years and he treated my family great. I am also Italian so maybe that helped 🤷🏻‍♂️ He said to use Romano cheese instead of Parmesan and egg yolks. No butter. Its very good. 💃

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

Looks really good (and super rich). Thanks for sharing.

• kbmbillups1

@torey Yes, I like them but my husband and kids refuse to eat them. So, we just don't have pasta. We were eating cauliflower rice instead of rice until this lock down. It's not only hard to find cauliflower rice but cauliflower to rice yourself. We've given in to eating rice again.

• silvertipgrizz

@Homestead Hubby Welcome to TGN!

I love Romano cheese and would love to live in the valleys of Italy!

What do you think a poss ratio might be for part butter and part eggs as I am quite fond of my recipe.

If you try my recipe let me know what you think. And please post your recipe using Romano and egg yolk for many here that might want to try it.

• silvertipgrizz

@Melissa Swartz It is rich and the roasted or grilled chicken tempers that and really to my taste makes the alfredo even better.

If you try it let us know what you think.

• silvertipgrizz

@kbmbillups1 do share, it sounds interesting and I love any excuse to eat cashews!

• kbmbillups1

@silvertipgrizz I soak about a cup of raw organic cashews in water for at least 30 minutes but usually longer. Once they've soaked a while you can see that they look different then you're ready to go. There are 2 ways to proceed from here once you drain the cashews.

The 1st way is to blend the cashews with a cup of water and salt, pepper, whatever spices you want - I usually add a clove of garlic, a good hunk of onion, oregano, basil - blend until it's liquid with no nut pieces left. Make a roux then add your cashew mix. If it becomes very thick add some more water to thin it out before adding the pasta.

The 2nd way (I use this way most of the time these days) is to blend the soaked cashews with the onion hunk, garlic clove, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, (fresh is best for flavor but dried works), sometimes I add smoked paprika - whatever you like really - add a half cup of water and blend. It will be thick. If it's too thick I add more water - a tablespoon or so. Once the mixture moves freely in the blender I taste it and add more spices if needed. Then, I add this mixture directly to the pasta - but we haven't had pasta in a very long time so I've been topping chicken, eggs, rice - various things with the mixture. Sometimes I cook the chicken in the mixture and sometimes I just top it with the mixture. It just depends on how things go that day and if I was able to defrost the chicken ahead of time. If not it goes in my Instant Pot and then gets topped with the mixture. I think adding the raw garlic and onion and fresh spices makes this way taste really good. If you have some left it's not the best the next day though. You have to add a some more garlic and spices to spiff it up. The 1st way you can save the leftovers and they taste great the next day. Oh forgot - sometimes I use it as a salad dressing as well - it started out being a dressing but I messed around with it and found it's pretty versatile.

Hope you try both of them and enjoy them!

• silvertipgrizz

@kbmbillups1 Your recipe is a good way to dump a lot of the fat in my recipe. I"m wondering what fruit goes good with cashews as a whole salted nut, that might go good with your dressing recipe? I love fruit in my salad dressings, salads and meat dishes so I bet with poss trial and error some great fruit add ons would be great in your salad dressing recipe. You just gave me a great idea for a new discussion.

Thank you for sharing your recipes. Oh, come harvest time maybe spaghetti squash with your sauce?

• kbmbillups1

@silvertipgrizz I have made broccoli salad with broccoli, mandarin oranges (or just oranges) and dried cranberries and used it as the dressing. I've also made chickpea salad (a play on tuna salad) for my daughter and used it as the dressing as well.

• Homestead Hubby

No butter.

His recommendation for 2 was

2 cups heavy cream

3 Yolks

Romano

S&P to Taste

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

I loved the comment about spiralized zucchini. It is becoming much harder for me to grate vegetables so I splurged and got a spiralizer. For the most part the spiralizer has really helped. I have found that if I want the zucchini in smaller pieces all I have to do is cut them with a knife. It is a handy gadget to have.

• silvertipgrizz

@Homestead Hubby

Your recipe sounds real good and easier than mine..

Is the process something like this:

heavy cream in heavy saucepan blended with egg yoks and Romano to taste?

Thanks for posting..I will give it a try.

• Homestead Hubby

Yeah that is about right I would temper the eggs you dont want to cook them.