Farmer Trying to Keep Going
I guess I'm just feeling a little stressed and needing to vent.
I understand the medical establishment wanting to "slow" the spread a bit to be better able to "prepare" to support those who need the ventilators and ICU support etc.
I'm in Central Florida and Florida does have more than it's fair share of "at risk" population but at the moment my county hasn't reported many infections (perhaps largely due to not testing.)
Anyway, my concern, I'm a farmer and I sell fresh produce. (My is self employed husband works as a lighting guy doing corporate meetings and conventions so he has no income now and being self employed, I don't think he qualifies for unemployment.) I'm self employed farming, so I'm not unemployed but since most of my customers (restaurants) have had to almost shut down, I have almost no income now either. BUT I still have to keep working or there won't be any food for the future. We have been giving away/donating lots of produce but with all the fear, and many other individual customers being out of work, at this point some of them can't even afford the gas to come pick up produce at the gate even if I'm giving it to them for free.
I'm just hoping this sorts it's self out sooner rather than later. At least we are not going to starve since we know how to grow food. Under normal circumstances I tend to be pretty isolated on the farm most of the time but when the money really runs out and the power/internet providers decided they are not going to keep connections on for free anymore, then the isolation really will become a bit more troublesome.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter