Show off Eggs! Chicks! What do you have on the go?

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
edited November 2020 in Birds (Land Fowl & Waterfowl)

Here is a sampling of our eggs so far. Our guinea fowl, indian runner ducks & call ducks are not laying yet.

I hope to start setting eggs from my Bielefelder under my silkies soon. I want to scale these up for lots of eggs. I am hoping for lots of pullets, of course.

Top: 2 black (or blue) copper marans eggs. These girls have been laying for a while, so they have already started to lighten.

To the right: 3 jersey giant eggs

To the left (long eggs): My first 2 bielefelder eggs!

Middle: silkie. I am missing a smooth feathered silkie egg, which are speckled. They are really pretty!

Comments

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Getting our first layers in just a few weeks :) So how do you chose to store your fresh eggs? Looking at some different options....

• LaurieLovesLearning

@chimboodle04 As in refrigerated or not? This is a very heated topic that was also discussed in another thread about washing eggs or not washing eggs. I would ask that if this is the question at hand, to consider searching for and reading that thread to give an idea which direction you would like to take.

If it is a question of what type of display or basket is used, I would encourage you to start a new thread, as there are many interesting options available, and that would make for an interesting discussion.

I would prefer this thread to be more about showing off than questions. When you get your hens, please post a picture here along with the name of the breed. I would love to see what you chose.

• Easter eggers, White leghorns.....

• LaurieLovesLearning

For you @wabbit1964, since you are getting BCM soon. Some of my hens have been laying for a while already. They say that before you can say what shade the eggs are on the color chart, that they should have laid at least 2 dozen eggs. Your darkest will be first eggs and first eggs after a molt or other interruption. By then, they will lighten some, but will become consistent in shade. You want a minimum of 4 on the chart, eggs that are hard to tell which way is up, and not an every day layer. Three times per week is good. They should have a sheen as well.

Anything you want to know about BCM, I will help you out with. I try to work on egg color & look according to the SOP (standard of perfection.) But, I don't show.

The best place to check things out is the club in France http://www.marans.eu after all, they did originate there. 😉 You can read in French or English.