Turnip green pesto!

So, some of the turnips we planted last year were never harvested, and are sending up lovely greens. I think I had them cooked years ago, and was unimpressed, but I took a nibble out in the garden and it reminded me of arugula. I love arugula. From there my mind went to pesto; I did a quick internet search and sure enough, lots of other people thought that turnip greens made good pesto. I made a small batch yesterday, and it was delicous. Some of it I used as a dip, and some became pizza sauce for my lunch today. Here's what I did

a handful of brazil nuts and walnuts, ground up in the food processor

a crushed clove of garlic

salt and pepper

large bunch of turnip greens, coarsely chopped.

maybe 2 tbs. calamondin juice (sour oranges, you could use lemon instead)

I ground that all up to a paste in the food processor. I had to add the greens in two batches, as they wouldn't all fit at first. Then I added olive oil and ground some more.

I would add a little more juice next time, but otherwise, it was delightful.

Comments

• soeasytocraft
    soeasytocraft Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

This sounds great! Greens seem to be the only successful part of my turnip harvest! Might have to try this recipe next season.

Pesto is great! Just abut anything goes when it comes to making it.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@blevinandwomba Thank you for sharing. I made a pesto last week with garlic mustard greens.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

@soeasytocraft I made it twice before we chopped up the turnips to make room for spring crops. I'd planned to freeze some of the extra- but there wasn't any. It is definitely better with a little more lemon juice.

@Obiora E What do you put in your pesto? I found garlic mustard growing in the garden, and I'd like to make good use of it.

This Week's Leaders