C- Virus check in. What's happening, how you feeling, what you doing?

2»

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,561 admin

Up here, milk dumping is happening & dairy & beef cattle culls sound not so far off. I haven't heard anything about eggs yet.

You bet any milk on our place will be cherished, every egg (we still have so many, we might tire of them), and our bull will be enjoyed on our plates.

I had my stress topping moment on Easter Sunday. It was not pretty & I was so disappointed that it happened on that day. It didn't help that the two days previous had some unexpected events. I had such a nice day planned. We ended it late, but better.

Some people think this time might not affect homeschoolers, but you know, it does affect us like everyone else...if we are honest. We still have events cancelled, kids & parents aren't getting out as much, and our lives are disrupted in many ways otherwise. Homeschool moms carry a lot of responsibility, and with that comes a unique stress not helped by governments always wanting to poke their noses into our private family life. These events just multiply it in strange ways. The public schooled families are getting concessions, bit we will still have the same scrutiny & expectations even though we are dealing with unusual events ourselves.

Yeah...that's enough of that complaint. I will buck up & carry on & try to look at the positive side of things. That's all I can do.

Tomorrow we do a monthly shop. Only one of us will go in any store at any one time (which to be honest sucks), but at least it is a type of "outing" with my husband. I am strangely looking forward to it. I usually enjoy shopping together.

I am so curious as to what will be available. I will hopefully get to pick up my first seed order too.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,665 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning Sorry you had such a stressful day, particularly on Easter Sunday! I hope whatever the cause was has been resolved.

I am surprised to hear of milk dumping when supplies have been intermittently low here in stores (cottage cheese, sour cream and certain sizes of milk cartons). Is it because they can't get the milk to the dairies or because the dairies are closed and can't handle the product? We don't have many dairy farms in this area. More beef herds than anything else.

I have heard that Cargil is only running limited shifts so that will impact Canada's beef supply at least in the short term. As for us, we buy all our meat products either from a local rancher or from a Hutterite colony just to the north of us. So our personal meat supply is OK.

The shortages in our grocery stores still seem to be pasta, rice and dried legumes. Larger supplies of flour and sugar have reappeared.

Our Canadian Tire store has been quite depleted as far as seeds go. The feed store is only open for feed sales over the phone. You can't go into the store so they aren't selling seeds at the moment, hence the run on Canadian Tire. I haven't been into Walmart to see what their supply is like. Because Vancouver is so far ahead of our area, I am afraid that all of the veggie and herb starts will be sold out before our season begins. There have been news reports about the increased number of people shopping at nurseries and greenhouses in Vancouver. I am glad that I got most of my seeds online and am able to start most of my tender plants myself.

Stay safe and well everyone. Do something for your mental health today!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited April 2020

@torey Some of the cause is certainly ongoing (young adult issues), but I do feel better than on Sunday. Some of the problem (lost time on the wknd) is now in the past and I need to look forward. Hopefully this weekend is more productive.

Because the government requires raw milk to be processed before selling to the public, it is difficult to get all of that milk through the processing plants with reduced workers. If I understood the news correctly, with restaurants being shuttered to in room dining, there has also been a shortage on demand. CTV covered this just a day or two ago.

We have a good mix of crops & beef with some dairies scattered throughout. There are not as many dairies as in past years however. When you get large, it gets very demanding of your time and the price of quota is extremely high and very prohibitive to new farmers. Many age out.

Flour & sugar reappeared? Hmm...we will look tomorrow. Although we got some clean wheat ($5/50lb) and will be milling fresh shortly. We need to top up our rarely used unbleached flour though.

I got 2 of my orders in...my smaller ones, anyway. I was too late to get on in at my main one. I will try again early tomorrow.

Our second daughter is busy doing a sourdough starter experiment. She has 4 started (whole grain, whole grain-white, rye, all white) as of a few minutes ago. 😁 Once we have fresh flour, a 5th will begin!

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live here in Springfield, Oregon and we have been at home for at least a month ordered to do so by the governor. The grocery stores are open. I went to a smaller store today and was dismayed that some people, even shoppers were not wearing masks. I have been making masks for my family, children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. Mostly in our are but some relatives in another part of the state. I started making the masks by hand because I haven't used my sewing machine in many years. One of son's was very nice and paid for me to get my sewing machine fixed. Bless his heart!. So now I can sew to my hearts content. Also I am used to living by myself but now for some reason I have no sense of time. That is rather odd to me. Good luck, keep safe, and stay healthy.

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

We have been in lockdown for nearly 4 weeks in New Zealand. The good part is that our cases and deaths are very low, but everyone is getting cabin fever and just waiting for the government to allow us to drop to level 3, hopefully this week :)

Many people are working from home, apart from essential workers. For those who can't work from home, there is a government wage subsidy and help for businesses so hopefully they can survive and start up again once we are over this. I have been able to do some work from home, but it is quite difficult to have the office in my lounge which is also being used by other family members!

Luckily the weather has been still pretty sunny and warm for autumn, so people are out walking and gardening, but today we're having a massive thunderstorm and rain.

Been feeling up and down, and a bit teary on occasion. Trying to look for the silver linings and really hoping the world will make the changes and we will all be in a better place afterwards.

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

I've been in the house by myself since early March. That doesn't bother me.

But I've also been sick and can't seem to get over this respiratory thing I've got. I finally got tested for Covid this week (Week 6) and it was negative. I am feeling better and hope I'm on the tail end of whatever this is! We had 5 inches of snow yesterday 🙄 but it's supposed to be 66 degrees tomorrow and I'd sure love to get out in the yard.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was notified today that the thrift store where I volunteer has reopened for a few hours a day, three days a week. I plan to email back questioning when they will need their grunt labor again (me).

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

It is interesting to see others reactions to the c virus restrictions. Some people very serious, only go to the supermarket when necessary, efficient, gloves, mask, courteous but straight back to car and home. Some browse, handle produce, change their mind, have a chat. We are very lucky that in our huge country, we have 26 million population and I believe that has helped our cause. Sure most of the population live on the coast but we are not on top of each other, we have space. Not only is the govt talking about flattening the curve, its now eradication! As of today only 70 deaths and positive tests on the decline. Very proud of most Australians taking this seriously.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately here in the states you see the utterly stupid and asinine responses. Sorry...it is just so irritating to be trying so hard to be careful and having others getting WELL within the 6 feet of you when shopping, putting their hands on your cart and reaching OVER you to get something that is in front of you (my daughter's experiences). Then I see the 19 photos on Facebook of people's homemade masks - ranging from a costume horse head, a plastic bag, a full on diving suit with air tanks (that one might actually work lol) and others. At first I was a little amused, and then I thought about the implications of these actions. Then there are the white men with rifles protesting the restrictions on the steps of their capitols and someone comparing them to Rosa Parks. Really???? It makes me tear up. Guess I was naive to think mankind was finally improving, at least until looking at the fallout from the last three years. Okay, sorry, rant over. I'm going to have some coffee and find something funny to watch or read. (If admin wants to delete this I understand.)

• shllnzl

@seeker.nancy I am getting in the mood once again to read Enslaved by Ducks, how one man went from the head of the household to the bottom of the pecking order by Bob Tarte. The true life story always makes me laugh and get warm, positive emotions.

I am reminded of the book because my life now is enslaved by dogs (and cat, bird and plants..and sourdough starter...)

• LaurieLovesLearning

@seeker.nancy I see no problem with your post. It is frustrating when you are doing your part & others are not caring.

Manitoba is doing not too badly. I just hope that they don't open up the south border (sorry U.S. friends) and people from other provinces stay put. Restrictions aren't being lifted yet, but it is nice to see a positive trend.

My husband says that all of us that want the space just have to invest in a cattle prod or make an electrified hoop. I think both are a good idea. Haha Making one shouldn't be too hard for the creative members here. Go farmer style. 🤣

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@seeker.nancy @LaurieLovesLearning some people's stupidity is mind blowing. Every country has them. I was telling friends that social isolation wasn't for corona virus, it was for the stupidly ignorant plague! Cattle prods are a wonderful idea, could have used that the other day, many times!

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

Main change is ZOOM. I had never heard of it until we were put under stay home orders. Now I use it two to three times a week. It is a blessing for those who need meetings. I actually like it enough I wouldn't mind using it for certain things even after the state opens things back up. Another change is that we only go into town every two weeks and we buy more online. Otherwise, as a retired person not much else has changed. Still have chickens, dogs and a cat to care for, a garden to plant and tend etc. We, the humans, each take care of ourselves. I will say the dogs are really happy that my husband is home more.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks you'all, I'm better now (minus the persistent headache, no doubt brought on by allergies and stress lol). I think I need to make myself another cup of tea and add some tulsi and squirt some skullcap tincture into it. I do love the thought of the cattle prod. Which reminds me, I have a handheld prod I was told I would have to have with the dairy goat bucks. Fortunately I never needed it, lol, because I had one that was HUGE! This unit is about the size cell phones used to be before smartphones, easy to carry in a purse or pocket...hmmm....🤣

• shllnzl

I have wooden nightsticks left over from my karate days. I keep them in my car in case I should need to defend myself. (And I look like such an ordinary, harmless old lady.) It occurs to me that with nightsticks in hand and my short arms extended, I might have a way to mark a reasonably safe distance from others.

• Grammyprepper
    Grammyprepper Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

At my store, in Ohio, I have seen a lot of 'strange' faces since this all started (ppl from surrounding communities shopping here because we are a bit more rural), I would say the majority of my 'regular' customers are taking things seriously, and shopping less frequently. However there are the handful that still come in EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. no mask or gloves, just wandering aimlessly around the store. Then there are those that bring the entired danged fambly for a weekly field trip, with kids from newborns to teens, letting the littles run wild. And of course, there are the folks who 'think' they are being responsible by wearing masks and gloves, but they touch EVERYTHING including their faces and masks as well as the products. Or they remove their masks in order to converse with various folks in the store. It is all amusing and scary at the same time.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Well, I was told today of a chicken theft, at night, just out of our provincial capital last week. It may have been breed specific & not related to this virus, but nobody was available to ask the thief. I would hope it is an isolated incident.

Needless to say IF I am going go sell anything, My ad would indicate that I am from a larger centre, X is my name, no identifiers. My cell phone number will not identify my local town, so that would add a safety measure as well. I would meet in a public place.

I have thought about similar in the past. As much as it is fun to show off what you've got, it is not always wise for the reason above & because of disease spread to your animals anyway.

• karen
    karen Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hola Jodie

I too am retired so like you and in a bario outside town I dont find much different. I had started going into town twice a week because it was too much to bring all my stuff home. Now I am back to once a week and hoping i can find a taxi each time. but if that was all i had to complain about....

my biggest and worrisome problem is my deaf ear. It has a hole in the ear drum and when i have problems it affects my sinuses and that side of my throat and as it continues it causes some vertigo. . I am experiencing the second bout of discomfort in the past 6 weeks of out lockdown. so that is a bit depressing. I do what I can to minimize the effects - lots of Vit C and good sleep with golden Tea. I would like a doctor to take a look but the only alternative one that speaks english is inundated by the gringo community.

I keep telling myself that as long as it isnt draining I will be OK again. It is just so uncomfortable. Just short of pain. if it starts itching then at least i know it is healing again, and I have drops to help with that.

Oh well

• Debora Salmon
    Debora Salmon Posts: 14 ✭✭✭

As of today, 4-22, husband is still employed but since his job is oilfield related who knows for how much longer. We have been planning for a long time against many possible scenarios so are probably better off that a lot of folks (not on this forum). We have chickens and a nice garden. Living out in the middle of nowhere has its advantages. We have always kept plenty of essentials stocked but even more so now. I’m more concerned about small business folks being left high and dry over this..our son and many of our friends will not be able to survive if things don’t turn around and soon.

• bcabrobin
    bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

@seeker.nancy Don't EVER say sorry for needing to talk! You and all of us have fears and worries, I can't say anything for the rest but I'm willing to listen ANYTIME. Sounds weird I guess but I'm glad I'm not the only one that has the fears/worries and when you hear of a death close by it brings it home. It's here folks! Our state made a map so you can check your zip code, to see how many positives and how many tested. We're rural and have 3. One of our sons area has 23, so scary.

For your snails have you ever tried the pie pan of water or beer? Here are a couple places to get ideas, I like the grapefruit half, never tried that. Dad always had a frisbee upside down in his garden, not the pie pan.

https://www.organiclesson.com/get-rid-of-snails-slugs/

Good luck maybe your plants just wanted a little more loven from you!

• LaurieLovesLearning

Yes, I am not too worried about the big guys. I would like to see the small businesses be able to continue forward. They add so much diversity to everything.

• davidking530
    davidking530 Posts: 14 ✭✭✭

I sell organic greens and lost all my restaurnt accounts, which makes it hard

• Grammyprepper
    Grammyprepper Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

@davidking530 could you possibly move to a CSA type business? If your area has a 'local FB group, maybe you could advertise there?

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited April 2020

@davidking530 Even advertising your produce on here would be good. Use every avenue open to you.

Where do you live? Do you deliver? What is your price? Do you sell a box selection or by the type of produce? Do you have the option of either?

This information would help others here to help you connect with new customers in your general area.

@kbmbillups1 It sounds as though you took precautions. No harm there. I am glad you had a moment of fun.

We had a relative stop by in a vehicle (stayed in it) and we had a good visit that way.

We saw 3 elderly guys meet for their regular coffee in a McDonald's parking lot, but it was altered. They did the drive through, and then parked in a triangle and were having a great visit. I think it is great to see creativity that stays within boundaries. Good for them.