Spring has arrived and so has aching muscles

Desiree
Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in General Health

As I transition from winter inactivity to spring feverish work outside (especially during this time of shelter-at-home) my poor aching muscles start to remind me yet again why it so important to find activities over winter to keep them in shape! What remedies do you use for aching muscles?

Comments

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

@desireet02 for me it's the same. A lot of projects the last 3 weeks and a lot of aching muscles.

I just keep on working and take a warm shower afterwards.

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

@desireet02 yes, the warm/hot shower is the answer for me too.

Many people make the mistake to go in and sit down for a while to rest.

Big Mistake! It just gives your muscles time to atrophy so you will be feeling tighter for day(s) to come.

A nice shower helps to relax those muscles and you won't be anywhere near as stiff for the hours/days to come.

There is always creams and lotions which help also but just warm water is so much healthier to me. And when you get back in motion later and feel a little tight, just do a couple stretches to warm the muscles back up and you'll notice the tightness goes away much easier.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@desireet02

I use a salve that is 50% cayenne oil and 50% cottonwood bud oil and some beeswax. It works very well for anything joint or muscle related.

Showers are great but if you have the opportunity to have a bath, you can add epsom salts and/or herbal teas (or just straight herbs) which can help relieve sore muscles. Or just something added for relaxation.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I have been kneeling to wash walls at school while the kids are out (for the rest of the year, it looks like). I am very lucky to get to keep working, but the unusual movements have made my rib cage so sore!

I took a hot shower, and I do have some cottonwood salve. Great idea, @desireet02 ! I'm gonna go give that a try.

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

An epsom salts bath would be the first thing I would recommend, as the magnesium will relax the sore muscles, but really, any sort of warmth is good too. The followed by a good stretching session, to stretch out any kinks and get the blood flowing through the muscles and flush out lactic acid build up. Make sure you drink plenty of water.

An excellent muscle rub is Comfortzone : https://www.yourzone.nz/ This stuff is magic!!!

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

I kept wondering why I am so tired.... then I realized, I have planted almost a quarter acre, using just a hand trowel! I didn't even have a hoe here before the stay at home orders were issued, so I've only used one little hand tool. Oh and a rake to rake up pines straw. I'm afraid my only answers are aspirin, wine and turmeric (with black pepper)

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

After a week of nice weather, I was able to get a bit of winter clean up done, but I like to leave some in place for the developing insects and for birds to choose nesting material. Unfortunately we are back to a cold snap with some pretty gusty winds so I am resting right now. It will all be there when I can get back to it. Thank you for your tips and shared experiences!