Beautiful comfrey

seeker.nancy - Central Texas
seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Growing Medicinals

This time of the year the herbs begin to show their beauty as well as their function. Times now are trying, I get that. But when I saw one of my comfrey plants looking so beautiful I wanted to share it. It makes me smile, and I hope it makes you smile as well.

Comments

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

@seeker.nancy I agree a beautiful comfrey.

Mine are just some bit behind but with white flowers.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

@seeker.nancy Lovely. Mine is still under quite a bit of snow, so this is awesome to see.

• Momma Mo
    Momma Mo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Mine are blooming, too! I love my comfrey! They love all the rain we have had, lately.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a healthy-looking plant! I've not been fortunate enough to ever grow comfrey (yet!). I did use comfrey compresses - dried leaf, soaked in warm water - when I sprained my wrist badly some years back. I think it helped a great deal, and I've often wished I could find a nice start. I understand they grow really well from just a bit of plant with the root attached.

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Beautiful! I’d love to add it to my medicinal plants.

• Melinda
    Melinda Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

Gorgeous.

• Torey

@Mary Linda Bittle Comfrey does grow really well. Too well for some. When you get a plant, make sure it has lots of room to expand because it will get quite large. When you dig it up, be warned that it will spread from any little bit of root that is left in the ground. One of the most prolific comfrey plantations I have ever seen was totally unintentional. It was a garden that was rototilled in early spring before anything was coming up. There was a comfrey plant in the garden and it got rototilled throughout. As the intention was just to rototill the area and then leave it fallow for a year, the comfrey had a chance to sprout everywhere. And it most certainly did!

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

@torey I can totally relate. A friend of mine rototilled a patch at my parents for a flower border and tiled 2 plants and wow did this patch bloom 😂 the bumblebees and bees really liked it

• Torey

@Jens Oh, yes. The bees. They love my comfrey. Sometimes it is literally buzzing with the number of bees. One in almost every flower. I love bees but my husband is allergic. It is so interesting watching the reaction of the bees to both of us. When I go near the comfrey plants, the bees just continue buzzing along with their duties. I can almost pet them, they are so calm. But when hubby gets near the plants, the bees start a loud, angry buzz and start coming out of the flower buds. We must have totally different pheromones!

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

@torey & @Jens you may not believe it, but I live in an area that has heavy clay soil and is very dry at times of the summer and my established comfrey plant died the summer i didn't water it. I did learn from that and the comfrey plant I subsequently planted has flourished for years. Yes the bees love it.

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

We had heaps of comfrey at our old place, but sadly it didn't survive being transplanted down here :( So far haven't been able to get another one, it's definitely on my "to-do" list! The bees love it, and its such a great medicinal herb too.

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

That is a beautiful plant. Mine hasn't started to flower yet. There are so many uses for comfrey--I love having it!