Eggplant and flea beetles

OhiohillsLouise
OhiohillsLouise Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Pest & Weed Problems/Solutions

While we are all planning our gardens I want to share a tip that has helped me grow great eggplant. I often tried to grow eggplant but flea beetles often got the best of them. Until I started growing them in a waist high raised bed. Flea beetles stay close to the ground so the higher than usual bed is passed. Now I have exceptional eggplant every year.

Comments

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

I have a raised bed but the flea beetles found them anyway. I daily went in the morning and killed them by hand. Although they bloomed and produced some fruit they did not mature or get to any size and then went yellow. I had never come across them before as fortunately they did not seem to be on our family farm. I am so glad you found something that works! My raised bed is about two feet but over the last three years the soil has settled to half that height. I'm hoping this year I can get a decent amount of compost and soil to refill the beds.

• OhiohillsLouise
    OhiohillsLouise Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

@seeker.nancy the raised bed I have is about 3.5 feet off the ground and is off the ground more like a deep table. Flee beetles can pass underneath.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

@Louise ah, off the ground, sorry I was just thinking of overall height. Makes sense. That setup probably reduces several kinds of pests.