Life force in Food

judsoncarroll4
judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
edited November 2020 in Wild Game Harvesting

Earlier today, when I participated in the community call, I mentioned how my great grandparents lived such long, healthy, vibrant lives, eating such a wide variety of foods... foods from the garden, livestock, wild fish and game and foraged, honey from their hives, all sort of herbs, etc. During the call, you may have heard my dog scratching at the door to go out... so, I had to sign off. I forgot to finish my point. I certainly believe that the widest variety of natural foods gives one the greatest, most complete nutrition. But, also, the life force of food. Food harvested and eaten very fresh, or preserved through fermentation and other natural techniques... in my opinion... has a far greater, more vibrant life force than foods in the store... foods harvested, processed, transported and stored.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Totally agree @judsoncarroll4. The closer to harvest we can consume or preserve our food, the less oxidisation will have taken place. In addition, natural plant sugars very quickly turn to starch. There is a huge difference in corn flavour when it has been picked minutes (or seconds) before going into boiling water compared to corn that is store bought. True with most vegetables but particularly noticeable with corn.

I love the look on peoples faces when they taste a home grown vegetable for the first time!

• judsoncarroll4

Have you tried leaving it in the shucks and grilling it.... then puling the shucks back and buttering it, with a little salt, while still hot... picking, grilling and eating immediately? I honestly don't know of anything better!

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 totally agree, but these days, with so much soil nutrient depletion, can we even get back to that, even with homegrown food?

Also I mentioned in the "good cook" thread, it is the energy and love put into the food while prepping and cooking it which is also important. I have a quote that I give to clients on one of their info sheets which I will share:

"If a woman could see the sparks of light going forth from her fingertips when she is cooking, and the substance of light that goes into the food she handles, she would be amazed to see how much of herself she charges into the meals that she prepares for her family and friends. It is one of the most important and least understood activities of life, that the radiation and feeling that go into the preparation of food affect everyone who partakes of it. And this activity should be unhurried, peaceful, and happy because the substance of the life stream performing the service flows into that food and is eaten, and actually becomes part of the energy of the receiver. It would be better that an individual did not eat at all than to eat food that has been prepared under a feeling of anger, apathy, resentment, depression, or any outward pressure." (Maha Chohan, Electrons)

Of course, this also applies to men preparing food :)

I always remember a story from one of my Ayurveda tutors about this and how one of her mentors/tutors could tell that the food prepared was created when my tutor was angry and would not eat it.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 You are so wired into the music that you hear it everywhere.

Sorry, I had the opportunity to eat snails once, just could not do it.

• judsoncarroll4

Or a rainbow of colors... each color is a different vibration, just like each sound... each taste... a stone or tree or tomato or a chicken

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 I love those analogies - so our food becomes a symphony, or a beautiful artwork - so true :)

@shllnzl my ex-husband had snails at a French restaurant, but like you, I just couldn't face it! In my mind, I know they are edible, in my stomach, they just aren't lol

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

The life force of food is so true on many levels. Digging for worms, the act of baiting the hook and fishing. Then cleaning to cooking the fish. Very tasty. Deer hunting in the cold winters to provide food in the cold months. Planting, caring for, and harvesting our vegetable gardens. Building compost piles with food and plant waste creating decomposition with thousands of living microbes. This makes me happy sharing this with you as I have learned how to do these tasks.

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 Music, colors, life. What beautiful picture of the vitality and energy of living foods! 🙂

• csinclair461
    csinclair461 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

@foodherbshealth The thought of preparing food with good energy - it reminded me of how my family learned how negative energy and thoughts can rot rice, and stunt plant growth, while positive, thankful energy can preserve rice, or cause the plant to flourish. Also, how water crystals form differently when exposed to positive/negative feelings. After learning this, my kids remind me to stay happy near the water filter! No one thought about the effect that the cook might have on the food being prepared. Thank you for that reminder!

@judsoncarroll4 I just finished watching The Need to Grow, recommended on another thread here. I heard there that lettuce has a milky sap in the leaves full of antioxidants that disappears 24 hours after harvesting. Even though I have experienced fresh lettuce, I didn’t realize that. I have some new lettuces germinating in trays right now, looking forward to taking note of their sap.

• smik123
    smik123 Posts: 60 ✭✭✭

@foodherbshealth I will be thinking about that sap when I plant my lettuce seedlings this afternoon. Thanks

• smik123
    smik123 Posts: 60 ✭✭✭