Dirty Rice

blevinandwomba
blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in General Recipes

Anyone else love dirty rice as much as I do? It's not something I grew up with, but it's become a regular meal for me. In case anyone is not familiar, it's not rice that you haven't washed. It's rice dish with chicken livers and/or sausage, that is supposed to make the rice look dirty. It's Cajun, I believe- I have read up on it, but its been a while. When I make it- which may or may not be authentic- I saute celery, onion, and green peppers or green chiles, while simmering some chicken or turkey livers just until done. Then I chop up the liver and it add leftover rice(I always use brown) to the vegetables. I season with salt, pepper, paprika, oregano, thyme, and garlic. I actually usually use smoked paprika, just because I love it. I add cayenne if it needs it, but I usually use green chiles instead of green peppers, so it is often spicy enough.

Then there is filthy rice- a fishy variation that's original to me, as far as I know. Make as above, omitting the liver, and add some chopped green onion to the sauteed vegetables. Season with either adding a few anchovies when you saute the veggies, or adding fish sauce. When its done cooking, add flake some sardines or kippered herring into your individual bowl, and spoon the hot rice on top. I don't like to put the fish in the skillet, because its seems to toughen it to me. This is actually my favorite.

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,456 admin

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!! Dirty rice is a staple for me! Have you tried making Cajun boudin with rice and liver?

• blevinandwomba

@judsoncarroll4 No, I've never had boudin, but I just looked it up and it sound great. Do you have a recipe?

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,456 admin
    edited April 2020

Well.... honestly, I "eyeball" it and go by taste. But, basically, just grind up a pork butt (or a portion of it and add everything else proportionally), and some cooked pork liver. Cook down some onions, garlic, celery, parsley and peppers in oil.... stir in some rice and let it toast a bit in the oil... add broth to cook the rice (add salt, pepper and Creole seasoning like Tony Chachere's, to taste... mix with your ground pork and liver and either eat as is (like dirty rice), or to make boudin, run everything mixed together through the grinder again. Traditionally, you stuff it in hog casings and eat it as sausage... but, you don't have too. You can make boudin balls of loose sausage, roll in bread crumbs and deep fry!!!!!!!! Of course, do everything to taste. Some folks just like sweet bell peppers in there, but I either use hot peppers or lots of cayenne... it should be heavy in garlic. Of course, this is Cajun style boudin, so season appropriately… and it is not French, traditional boudin, which is blood sausage. (I'm not Louisiana Cajun, BTW, but my heritage includes both Acadian and Creole, so my tastes and traditions are similar).

• blevinandwomba

Getting the pork liver might be a problem. A few of the Mennonite or Amish farms around here sell pasture-raised meat, and I've gotten some interesting offal- tongue, heart, kidneys, etc. I have never seen them sell pork liver- it all goes into scrapple and pork liver pudding.

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

YUM! Love it.

This Week's Leaders