Does anyone besides me LIKE bad weather?

shllnzl
shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am one of those people that love to watch nature acting up. If I had a braver nature I could have been a storm chaser. (One terrifying thought of "Wow, that's interesting" while being tossed through space in a funnel cloud.)

I have to be up front and say that there is no way to appreciate a blizzard if you're driving cross country in it. But if you are in a safe space where you can get away from the worst of it...

I had a baking shelter at home day yesterday...nothing exciting going on but eating and tending to pets and plants. The weather was warm and sunny with only a little breeze ending up with a beautiful evening. Some of you would consider my weather to be dream conditions.

While getting ready for bed, I thought I heard thunder and then heard it again. Excited, I went out on the deck to watch lightning for awhile. The lightning was shy and didn't return until I gave up and went back inside.

I smiled as I fell asleep to the thunder and rain drops being blown against the windows.

Comments

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

You are definitely not alone!!! 😁 I absolutely love a good thunderstorm or blizzard - love watching from within my house (or on the porch) with a warm drink and maybe a fire in the fireplace. They bring a sense of excitement but always remind me how very lucky I am as well :)

• DebiB
    DebiB Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

I love to watch a storm roll in. There is a beauty in the storm clouds, lightning and wind

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,561 admin

Thunderstorms both fascinate & scare me. Tornadoes, the same. I miss them...and yet, I will regret saying that in a bad lightning storm. Once I live through it, I love that I have experienced it. I really enjoy following storm chaser feeds & such. So thrilling!

We had one E4 head our way a few years ago. It was in direct line towards our place. The sky was the blackest I had ever seen it before & the lightning was extreme. We were coming out of the city but turned back into the city to wait it out. Thank goodness the valley made it fizzle out! That valley always messes with the weather patterns. In this case, that was a good thing! Tornado Greg (The Tornado Hunter...from Regina, SK) calls it the Manitoba Monster. It was a big one.

Blizzards, well, if it isnt -30 or -40, we might go for a drive or hunker down. It can be fun either way! I have driven through a few hairy ones even at that temp (not on purpose.) I could see right beside, but not past my good. THAT was scary.

We are waiting for a good spring storm here. We got snow again today. 🙄

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a little girl we lived in a suburb of St. Louis Mo. I remember watching lightning storms with my family and everyone enjoying them. Now a days I haven't found any storms to enjoy. Last week I took everything out of my hall closet in case we had to jump inside since we were going to have tornados and very bad thunderstorms.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

I have always loved storms and being out just before they hit (if thunderstorms) or watching it hail, sleet, or snow. It's kind of magical to me.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed my three year time in England when I was in the military. The only thing missing was thunderstorms. I think I witnessed only two lightning flashes in the whole time I was there.

Even I got tired of so much rain without the excitement of thunderstorms. That rain makes for a lovely green countryside, though, and young looking elderly people.

• sallyhoward
    sallyhoward Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

I love a good storm too, and generally witnessing mother nature do her thing!

• karen
    karen Posts: 80 ✭✭

I love rainstorms : the "thundering down and turning part of my yard into a swamp" kind of storms. In Ontario I could go to a park along Lake Ontario, lean over a railing and just watch and listen ( lake Ontario has some of the best storms). My husband and I drone through the mountains and arrived at a motel on the West Coast of Vancouver Island during an amazing rainstorm. I was able to grab a quilt off our bed, curl up in a deck chair (under shelter of course) and just experience it. My husband always thought I was a bit nuts this way. it wasnt intil i experienced the Canadian Long Beach that i realised there is something soothing about pounding waves and thundering rainstorms. Here in Ecuador we get torrential rainfalls coming in most; from the West and usually including thunder, lightning, ad strong winds. I will move a chair out to the hallway or the driveway and just watch and listen and relax until the wind starts to blow in on me. Until recently I had a cat who would come out to the driveway with me, curl up on my lap and just bliss out.

• bcabrobin
    bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

We live in a place that you can see for 100 miles on a clear day and LOVE to watch the storms coming. Love thunder, lighting not as much. We've live in a high lighting strike area, we've been hit at least 5 tx. Love to watch the clouds roll and boil.

I sleep thru most thunder storms the strikes have to be really close for them to wake me. I sleep so sound when it rains is pouring.

We showed our kids from the time they were little all about storms, weather etc. We told them you have to have respect for it but thunder is nothing to freak out about. We have a sister who if she hears it might have storms, starts fretting about how bad, will it hit, will we get rain on and on. Her daughter is scared to death of storms, she will get sick and throw up.

• Alison
    Alison Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

I enjoy watching it rain, particularly over the past 5 years or so as we've had a horrific drought. It was wonderful knowing the ground was soaking up every drop and the water tanks were filling.

I don't enjoy a thunder storm etc so much as we get a lot of gale force winds that tend to cause a lot of damage. Going outside to find almost all of that years veggies destroyed, roofing ripped up, limbs broken, electricity down again, fencing & sheds damaged isn't fun. Insurance to sustain that kind of annual damage is too expensive, so a nice rainy day or a light storm is pleasant and a good reason to work inside, but that's about my limit.

• jmachledt
    jmachledt Posts: 26 ✭✭✭

The rain and colder weather helps us appreciate the warmer sunnier weather and it slows us down - slowing down is a gift is we can go with it rather than fight it