Baking with einkorn

burekcrew86
burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Baking

I’m interested in switching to einkorn flour in my baking, sourdough starter, etc. I would love to hear your opinions on baking with einkorn. Please share your tips, do’s and don’ts. Point me to some of your favorite tried and true recipes using einkorn.

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been baking with Einkron for 2 years now. I made my own starter following the directions of Wardee from Traditional Cooking School that @shllnzl posted above. I also bought her Einkforn class and use her recipes. I make bread once a week for my husband since it's supposed to have very little effect on his blood sugar. I halve the recipe from Traditional Cooking School since he's the only one eating it. I've learned that with no preservatives this bread can mold very quickly. So, since my husband is the only one eating it I slice it thin and put parchment paper in between the slices and freeze it for him. The reason I put the parchment paper between the slices is that it sticks together when it freezes and he nukes it in the microwave every time he gets it out of the freezer. I feel like that does away with all of the nutrients. The bread is a little bit of a different color than regular flour. It has a yellowish tint. The texture is a little more dense as well. Last month I had to order whole wheat Einkron flour b/c that's all that wasn't sold out. My husband and I both like the whole wheat better for making his bread than all purpose.

I also make pizza dough from Einkron flour once a week for my entire family using Wardee's recipe as well. This dough is nothing like regular pizza dough. It's more like unleavened bread. We really like it! I recently posted about taking my college age daughter and her friends out for pizza at Mellow Mushroom and how my jaw was tired from chewing so much b/c I wasn't used to regular pizza dough with all of the gulten anymore.

I make cookies with it sometimes as well as brownies. One thing to remember is that this flour doesn't take the same amount of water as regular flour. If you're using a regular recipe and not one for Einkorn you'll probably need less water unless you're using whole wheat Einkorn. This past month I've learned whole wheat takes much more water than the all purpose Einkorn. So, you might have to play around with your recipes to get it the way you like it. I also found that if I make brownies I have to use eggs instead of aquafaba. I guess the extra moisture in the aquafaba makes my brownies turn into a huge tootsie roll type thing!

Last year I posted pictures of how I make Einkorn bread in this thread:

If you have any other questions let me know.

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

@kbmbillups1 Thank you so much for all the awesome info and tips. I follow Wardee too but I don’t remember catching her einkorn series. Thanks for sharing all of this.

• kbmbillups1

@burekcrew86 Her sourdough course is one of the e courses she offers in her cooking school.

• casey.cerny
    casey.cerny Posts: 1

Doves Farm has some good ancient grain recipes. They have a bunch of different flours for sale too, but aren’t selling to the US right now (it’s a UK based company).

https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/ancient-grains?page=2

• julieart01
    julieart01 Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

Hello, I too purchased Wardee's ebook on baking with Einkorn wheat and found it very informative! I purchased the all purpose flour from my local store to practice with. Now I bake bread with half of the flour - whole wheat Einkorn flour and half all purpose Einkorn flour and it is delicious and full of nutrients. I watched another one of Wardee's programs on mills for grinding wheat and decided to purchase a Mock mill. So now I purchase Einkorn wheat berries and mill my own flour! It is so easy to use! The shipping is expensive so I still purchase the all purpose Einkorn flour locally and only grind half of the Einkorn wheat for my bread as that is how I like it. Sometimes I use more Einkorn whole wheat flour but the bread is more dense. I make sour dough Einkorn bread. I use white whole wheat flour for my starter. You can use rye flour or einkorn but I choose to use wheat as it is easier. The Einkorn has very little gluten and you have to feed it more and I choose not to do that. I was gluten free for ten years prior to making my own Einkorn sour dough bread and I am loving it! I do make pizza with Einkorn or my new favorite is cauliflower pizza crust! Einkorn has many benefits and I highly recommend it. There are many websites tooting it's horn so I don't need to post that. Best of Luck to you!

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've not seen Einkorn flour where I live. I would love to be able to try it out, but am thinking I'd want a small amount to try. I'm saving all your tips for when I have the opportunity to give it a try!

That's what I love about this group. Somebody will be able to help with any question!

• kbmbillups1

@julieart01 Where do you live? I'd love to be able to buy Einkron locally since I order it online every month. I have never seen it around here either.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

@burekcrew86 Melissa K Norris (I believe she will be a presenter in the upcoming-Can’t Wait! Homegrown Summit) uses einkorn flour for some of her baking and should have some references at her website