Got Parsley? Make Chimmichurri!

blevinandwomba
blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in General Recipes

As a matter of fact, now that the last of the turnips have been disposed of, parsley is the only green large enough to harvest in my garden. Actually its hamburg parsley root that I failed to harvest last fall. Now its too late too harvest the roots, I believe, but I'm getting lots of lush leaves. This means- chimmichurri! Why?

1. I need sauces for all the grain bowls I've been trying out
  2. Its the only way I like to eat parsley. I know, its supposed to be such a likeable, tasty herb, and so vitamin packed- but I can hardly stand the taste.

So what is chimmichurri? It's an Argentinian sauce, basically a parsley vinaigrette. Traditionally its a steak sauce, I put it on everything. Here's a basic recipe for it.

For the record, I have subbed different kinds of vinegar, used a mixture of vinegar and lemon juice, and even subbed cilantro for some of the parsley. All of it was good. Also, I use a blender to get it as smooth as possible (because I'm a child of the processed food generation and don't like texture, hee hee.)

Comments

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blevinandwomba Do you have a recipe for green pepper vinegarette? Or the basic know how to make it? I love vinegarettes but don't know how to make them so they are as good as what you get in my fav restaurants where I experienced: raspberry v, cranberry v, green pepper v....

If you like egg salad for sandwhiches or otherwise, I make an egg salad with: boiled egg/s, parsley chopped and mayo. Pretty good for such an easy throw together.

Thanks for posting this recipe.

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

@blevinandwomba sounds yum! Thanks for sharing :)

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz I've actually never heard of green pepper vinaigrette- is that with green bell peppers or green peppercorns?

I can make a pretty decent vinaigrette, but I mostly just do it to taste. Are you using enough salt? Salt helps tame sour flavors so that they are pleasantly tart instead of off-tasting.

Here's a pretty good citrus vinaigrette- 1 tbs. honey 1 tsp. dry mustard 1/4 c. wine vinegar juice and zest of one orange 1 tsp. finely minced onion 1 c. olive oil salt to taste

I came across a recipe for rhubarb vinaigrette that looks promising- I'll post when I try it.

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

For the tastes my wife and I love, we thought this sounded like a good chimmichurri recipe.

Roasted Jalapeno Chimmichurri

Ingredients

• 2 jalapeño chilis Grill or char the jalapeños until blackened on all sides and quite soft, about 5 minutes total. Place them in a small bowl covered with a plate or towel and allow the skins to steam and loosen. Peel, stem, and seed the chilis
    • 2 cups cilantro leaves and sprigs, finely chopped
    • 2 cups parsley leaves and sprigs, finely chopped
    • 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
    • 3 tablespoons juice from 3 to 4 limes
    • 3 tablespoons dry red wine
    • 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
    • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
    • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a small food processor or blender, combine the jalapeños, cilantro, parsley, garlic, lime juice, red wine, olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pulse (or blend) until the mixture is a coarse puree. Taste and adjust for salt and blend again.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

Great recipes everyone. Mine turns out different every time, depending on what I have available. Parsley, oregano, lemon balm, coriander, rocket, chillies, lemon/lime juice. I love it on beef or lamb but it's also great drizzled over veggies or use on pizza bases !

• DebiB
    DebiB Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

There used to be a person at our local farmers market that sold chimmichuri and it was so good! Once my parsley grows out more I may have to try the recipe. Thanks

• jmachledt
    jmachledt Posts: 26 ✭✭✭

This sounds delicious! I have LOTS of extra parsley already and it's still really early in the season. Thanks for posting this idea/recipe!

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@blevinandwomba Thank you for sharing. I have only made one chimmichuri and it was done with carrot tops! Yes they are edible. It was really, really, good too.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

What a good idea! I have some greens to use up, this just might be the ticket, Thanks!