Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

Feeding chickens year round without the feed store?? — The Grow Network Community
If you are raising heritage poultry, The Livestock Conservancy is doing a census and requests your help.

Feeding chickens year round without the feed store??

kindpharmkindpharm Posts: 1
edited November 2020 in Birds (Land Fowl & Waterfowl)

Good day...

We have currently come across with issues getting bagged feed for our livestock. There seems to be a shortage...

So how do we go about raising animals for eggs and meat while living remotely in the high desert mountains of Idaho?

I have always had a practice to keep enough to get us thru a couple months but winter is really long and here and we are not finding resources to supplement our livestock feed for our donkeys, goats, cows and chickens... even cat food and dog food are in short supply here...

much thanks!

Comments

• SuperCSuperC Cook at Wahlburgers The Frozen Tundra in the Northern MidwestPosts: 366 ✭✭✭

For egg and meat producers, give them your leftovers, table scraps, old breads. Ask neighbor grocers to donate to your farm their produce and bakery goods that they throw out anyways.

• LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 3,771 admin

Let me see if I can be of any help.

Ask your CSAs if they have any extra discards from plants to older produce.

donkeys - These are similar in feed needs to horses. I would be searching for hay, preferably put up with no rain so mold/heating is not a factor. Put out ads in places that would produce hay, & network, but be willing to travel or pay delivery.

goats - as above, but they will be willing & able to eat more variety. This idea is kind of out there... Can they be led? Can you offer anyone a "lawn mowing" service?

cows - Do as for the donkeys.

chickens - don't overfeed them scraps. This is not healthy for them. 20% of their diet is lots. There is debate over bread being fed to birds & possibly causing angel wing. This is a more common occurence in young birds.

My suggestion here is to see if you can locate a seed cleaning plant. That will most likely be on the flats where they would grow grains. Chickens will eat almost any seed. Some are more useful to them however (Barley is only useful soaked, wheat is ideal, oats okay). Our local seed plant sells screenings really cheap. They even sell specifics that are well cleaned (no bug parts, stones nor weed seeds). It is not organic, but it is feed. It is clean enough for use for flour. Other screenings can be mixed. If you locate flaxseed cleaning plant, ask what they have and figure out delivery from there.

cat and dog - scraps are great! Talk to farmers & butchers. See what is available.

Hmm...I remember reading that ash tree twigs & leaves had been used for fodder in times past. Do a search on depression era or fodder for livestock in times of drought. Post what you find.

I am on the prairies, so our resources are a bit easier to come by here, but it still takes networking to find what you want at the price you need. I sincerely hope that you can find what you are needing.

Keep us updated!

• Gail HGail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

I've read that Jerusalem artichokes make good animal feed. I've never tried it, but it might be worth investigating.

I'm not sure if this would be a solution for your climate, but here is some information regarding "tree hay". https://www.agricology.co.uk/field/blog/tree-hay-forgotten-fodder