Help Troubleshooting My Tomatoes...

chimboodle04
chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Vegetables

Can anyone help me save my tomatoes!? I have been starting tomato seeds indoors for years and have never had a crop look so pathetic... These were started at the same time as the ones next to them, received the same lighting and treatment - everything. I do not know if it is just the variety (Oregon Star) or what...? Any advice on how to save them or give them a health boost? I do not know how difficult it will be to find actual plant replacements so saving these is preferable - thanks for any help! 😊

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am wondering if these seedlings have a fungal infection, maybe soil or seeds are different? I would recommend separating the sick plants from the rest so disease cannot spread.

• chimboodle04
    edited April 2020

@shllnzl I will do that now just in case - they are a different variety than the ones next to them... Maybe just a bad seed lot? Any advice on how to treat that organically by chance? Really have never had a fungal problem before...

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Avoid getting leaves wet. There aren't any good treatments. You could try sprinkling them with cinnamon; it has anti-fungal properties.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

Are they the same variety? They look like a different type because of the different colors on the bottoms of the leaves. I would still separate and add the cinnamon or have even heard of using some hydrogen peroxide mixed with water on dirt.

• DebiB
    DebiB Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

you may have gotten a bad batch of seeds. I remember seeing a David the Good video not too long ago where he showed 2 different varieties of beans that were planted in the same place and one set of beans grew beautifully the other set had poor germination and scraggly looking plants. He explained that the second set were a bad batch of seeds.

If that’s not the answer it may be insects like maybe some aphids? Another idea might be, have they been exposed to any weed killers? Tomatoes can be really sensitive to just a little bit of overspray from chemicals. These are just some ideas, you’re right those tomato plants shouldn’t look like that.

• chimboodle04

@DebiB @gardneto76 @shllnzl Thanks guys :) They are a different variety from the healthy ones next to them. I always water from the bottom and they have good air circulation as well (I have a fan that blows lightly on them to help strengthen stems) and they have not been exposed to any pesticides or residues that I know of since they have always been indoors until this point, we use organic methods, and they are in the exact same batch of soil as the other ones.... No bugs either of any kind from what I can see.... I will try the cinnamon to see if that helps, but I think I may also sow more of my other tomato varieties in case these do not improve. We usually do not plant out until the end of May so that will give new seeds a bit of a start - a bit behind is better than no tomatoes at all :) I appreciate all of your advice and help - thank you all again :)

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

I agree, I would separate just in case, we use neem oil and garlic oil, put worm casings in the hole before replanting, I definitely would not water leaves and make sure you are not over watering. Give it a try and see what happens, sometimes things bounce back. maybe it just a different type and grows differently, they look pretty similar to each other so it possibly is fine! Happy growing!

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! these tomato seedlings look better than any I have grown. I would definitely put them further apart. Sometimes when they are too close together they have problems. Make sure to water from the bottom. Be sure and let us know how the plants do and if they have a bumper crop!

• chimboodle04

@Dianne Petersen lol I would love a bumper crop! 😂 We use so many with all the canning we do that I have never had a year where I have not had to go purchase at least a few! I did separate them and have been bottom watering all along - I think I may try and start hardening them off early just to take advantage of all the air movement and climate outside - maybe it will help stop whatever is happening that seems to like the climate in my house?!

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

@chimboodle04 they honestly look like some kind of dwarf tomato. I have seen that type of plant somewhere before. Do you remember what varieties was you planted?

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

It looks more like a nutrient deficiency to me. Have you tried looking at something like this?

• chimboodle04

@gardneto76 these are the variety Oregon Star - they are a heirloom paste variety from what I read. It is my first year trying them so I wasnt sure if that was how they were supposed to grow either, but nothing in their description claims for them to be a dwarf variety...

@dottile46 thats what I thought at first too! I will be honest - I didnt pot these up from the seed starting mix as soon as I should have (things have been a little crazy as they have for most of us!) My other tomatoes were showing signs of needing some nutrients too, like purple leaves etc... All of my varieties were potted up at the same time to the same compost based medium and have been given some low dose tomato fertilizer in their water. All of my other varieties look great now, but these were still struggling... I did pinch off any diseased looking foliage two days ago to see if any new growth developed the same problem... They do look a tiny bit better but nothing like my others - I need a taller grow light for those ones lol!