Growing Shiitake on Logs
Great info on growing Shitakes:
Getting to know the mushroom
One of the most popular mushrooms that we sell here at mushroom mountain is the Shiitake mushroom. This is an amazing mushroom, and extremely easy to grow! We are going to share with you how to grow them on logs, how to boost their vitamin D as well as an awesome recipe for you to enjoy your mushrooms with. You’ll probably be surprised to find that shiitake mushrooms boost your immune system using polysaccharides, so that it can better fight cancers. They have been known to stabilize blood pressure.
Not only are Shiitake mushrooms good for you, they are delicious to eat. You can substitute mushrooms for just about any meat, from Shiitake gravy to spaghetti with sauteed Shiitake, or also as an addition to meat, boosting nutritional content and flavor. This incredibly diverse mushroom has a strong, earthy flavor that can be added into almost anything.
Shiitake mushrooms are one of the most widely cultivated mushrooms around the world surpassed only by the white button mushroom. They have been cultivated and enjoyed all around the globe for over a thousand years! That’s pretty impressive.
We know a lot of you may be slightly intimidated by the thought of growing your own mushrooms, but it seems like it is much more complicated than it really is. As a matter of fact, once you start, it will become a lifelong skill.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter