Trump orders U.S. meat-processing plants to stay open despite coronavirus fears

Comments

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

I think it is a mistake and that we are not done yet. In Texas they have opened most things up and the rest I think are supposed to open sometime next week. I read somewhere that the scientists and doctors are saying Texas has not hit it's peak and I believe that to be true. I hope and pray that I am wrong.

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

I feel so bad for the workers in those plants. Many of them feel they have to go to work if ordered because they will lose their jobs and not be eligible for unemployment. In my state, all the serious outbreaks are associated with meat packing plants. Some have instituted measures to help prevent the spread - barriers between workers, screening for fever, etc. That makes good sense and seems to have slowed the spread. I just pray for those workers.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

Yes...it's pretty much "rock...meet hard place".

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

Its a catch twenty-two. We have a couple of large processing plants within 60 miles of us. One shut down because they had several, over 20, cases of the coronavirus in their employees. The other is continuing to operate as usual for them.

It doesn't matter whether you want to eat pristine meat or commercially raised meat, whether you think CAFOs are nasty or you don't mind them, regardless of your thoughts on the commercial side of meat, they wouldn't be there if there wasn't a demand for the meat. Some people rely on that to feed their family. In one day alone 160,000 fat hogs were euthanized because they had nowhere to slaughter them because of plant shut downs and the new crop of feeder pigs needed a barn. Ranchers are being contacted by "the government" with offers to help them euthanize their fat cattle in the feedlots because of plant shutdowns. Entire barns of poultry are being euthanized. Yet we see grocery store shelves with a declining amount of meat and what meat is there has increased in price a great deal.

People have to eat. If they can't afford it or can't find it, they will get it another way. That means, it may be you that gets robbed of your food. Remember the day when home deep freezes had became a thing? They had a light on them to signal that they were running. Lots of folks casually threw a jacket or such over that light to keep from advertising that they had a freezer. And that was waaaayyyyy before we had social media where everyone knew what was going on in our lives.

I'll tell you straight up, I have no vested interest in any CAFO, commercial farming operation, and to the best of my knowledge I don't even know anyone that works for one of these outfits. I do know many people that rely on the meat available at the grocery stores to feed their families. Schools, nursing homes, hospitals, restaurants, food pantries, soup kitchens, and more rely on commercially raised meat to feed people.

If these plants don't find a way to process the meat we are in a world of hurt. Even with the order to open and stay open, if they don't have the staff to do the work then their production is going to be way down. That means less availability of meat, higher prices, more growers losing their farms, more animals euthanized, and more imported meat. Yep, it's a catch twenty-two.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

Been trying to catch the Food Revolution and one of the guests yesterday (?- I took lost track of the days) was speaking to the damage to the planet from factory farmed meat. It would be a beautiful thing if those depending on it were given some alternatives. I had just finished a detox (with no meat and a bunch of other stuff like sugar/salt) and wanted to continue making smoothies and keep the cleanliness going. Turns out it wasn’t a great time for this. I couldn’t find spinach- fresh or frozen, frozen veggies, fruits, along with carrots 🥕, apples 🍎, potatoes 🥔, celery just to mention a few. The homegrown summit is coming at an ideal time. Those who can grow can help/show those who don’t know how. I’ve been pulling my hair out (not really) trying to figure out how to grow potatoes and sweet potatoes to mention a couple things I’ve never grown before. With trying to FIND organic plants, get materials, and try to gain some education to do these things is very overwhelming and costly. I made an order the other day, and went to check out to find shipping would be $109 and some change; needless to say the order didn’t get placed.... I’m not sure why the government isn’t encouraging and helping folks learn to plant and grow. Instead of handouts maybe give them the the tools they need to grow their own; have town/city officials who can’t conduct “normal “ business work on community garden space in areas of dense population. So much more they could be doing instead of ordering businesses to close and/or remain open. This problem with the Coronavirus isn’t all that our nation or our planet needs to worry about.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

Even small local slaughter/butcher shops are having trouble getting to all the animals. We know of a fellow who had some cattle he couldn't get to market so he decided to donate them. He couldn't find any place to get them processed until well into summer. It is really a mess.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I donated money to our local farmer's market association to help them get set up to provide food under these restrictive conditions. I will support our farmers as I am able.

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

@VickiP we are in an area that has numerous small, local slaughter houses, some ran by Mennonites or Amish, and they are booked out three months.

@maimover gardening is not cheap for sure. You are in the right place to find help with how to's. Potatoes were something that we always grew at home growing up. Dad never got them in the ground before the first week of May and that was the earliest. We always had a good crop. People will say that they have to be in the ground by mid-March and trudge through the mud to get them planted. They do just fine planted in May. We grew sweet potatoes one year but I don't remember much about that other than hilling them. I'm not much on sweet potatoes, one a year is about all eat.

This discussion has been closed.