Saffron in the Garden

Alison
Alison Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

Ok, to start off, I want to be clear that I am talking about the spice Saffron here:

And not my goat Saffron here:

Both great in their own way for the garden and both productive. But today I was wanting to share my short term experience in growing the spice Saffron.

About two years ago I bought a few saffron corms and planted them along the front border in a section of my front yard. To be honest with the drought, fires and other significant life events I forgot about them. I've not used saffron in cooking as it seemed somewhat extravagant for my budget, so this little investment was more of a treat than a necessity.

I had noticed over the past couple of months a grass like plant erupting from the soil. When I pondered it I decided it must have been something I planted as it seemed to be growing in a fairly even row...unlike the seeds from hay that we store in a nook nearby that sprouts voluntarily anywhere it pleases.

I was delighted to see a lovely purple flower a week ago and upon closer look saw the vivid crimson stigma that was dangling from the center. My eyes widened and I gently plucked them off, allowed them to dry and placed the shriveled specimen in a tiny air tight container. Since then I've had two other flowers and anticipate more based on the patches of greenery yet to put forth a flower. I've not enough to truly boast of, but I have watched another happy youtube gardener who said her plants can triple each year.

We've been in a 8yr drought and get heavy frosts for many months each winter, yet they have produced. It's a lovely way to segue from Autumn to Winter in Southern NSW Australia. 🌺

Has anyone else tried to grow Saffron?

Or has anyone else planted something, had life pop up and say "Hello", forgotten about it and had a lovely surprise?

I'd love to hear your comments and stories.

Comments

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

I am a true saffron lover from about 20 years ago until today. Every single year my patch just keeps growing wider and fuller.

For me that is fantastic because I love the flavor and color it gives to any kind of chicken dish. Soups, pot pie, roasted chicken, it really does not matter what I am doing with it. Then in pasta dishes, casseroles etc. it also gives a lovely color.

The one thing you must check out though before you start using it consistently is what your other family members say. I find it is easier to cook and not tell them you added a new spice. My mother and I ran into this a long time ago with my father. He always complained sometimes what one of us made tasted like soap suds. We thought he was nuts. But eventually we only noticed this was when we added saffron.

And it turns out it is true. Since every person's body chemistry is different, some people lack an enzyme which others have. That particular enzyme is what makes the difference in the taste of saffron between people.

So all it takes is one look to see the cost of saffron and you will realize it is so easy to grow and you will never have to buy it again. And the best part, every year you will get more than last year as long as you do not accidentally dig into your saffron bed area by mistake. And that is very easy to do since as the plant grows and matures, all the grass-like frongs die-back and the ground in that area looks empty for much of the year.

• greyfurball

And by the way, I love the picture of your goat!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@Alison and @greyfurball You have both inspired me to try saffron again! I tired once many years ago and it didn't grow. However, I think it was my inexperience at the time. Thanks for posting.

• MissPatricia
    MissPatricia Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

My son gave me saffron (crocus) bulbs, which bloomed, but I failed to pluck the little stigma. Then this year, I didn't get the flowers because there was a compost "bin" over the area, which I removed too late. So next year, I will harvest and use. I am looking forward to that.

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

This has been another thing on my to do list...! @Alison @greyfurball - is there a specific variety of crocus that you plant or will any do??? Thanks :)

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

@chimboodle04 You need a saffron crocus (Crocus sativus), It is one of several fall blooming crocus species. When I saw @Alison 's posting, my thought was hey, it's spring but that sure looks like saffron. As I read her posting, I saw she is in the southern hemisphere, so yes, it if autumn there.

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

@tomandcara thank you!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@torey Where would you find them up here? This is sounding fascinating.

• greyfurball

@LaurieLovesLearning usually at most nurseries you can find the saffron crocus in those mesh net bags where you find the tulips and daffodil bulbs etc. They can also be ordered at many of the larger reputable seed companies.

• Torey

@LaurieLovesLearning I can't remember where I originally got my bulbs. It was a very long time ago; before the internet, so it must have been from a catalogue or a garden centre. Richter's has them listed in their catalogue but they are currently sold out. Hopefully, they will have some by the fall. https://www.richters.com/Web_store/web_store.cgi?product=X5162&cart_id=111.100

Breck's also has a listing and it says they are in stock. Now that I think about it, I may bought my first attempt through Breck's. https://www.brecksbulbs.ca/product/saffron-fall-blooming-crocus

They are hardy to zone 3 so I don't think that was my problem. Could have been the soil they were in.

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

I have been so afraid of planting crocus knowing one kind is poisonous to animals and the other isn’t. But I can never remember which is which!

@tomandcara do you know if the crocus sativus is safe if a wandering puppy chews on them?

• tomandcara

@torey Thank you for so clearly answering @herbantherapy's question. I know I would have most likely just said "yes, it is totally safe" without going into the differences between the crocus and the colchicum

• Torey

@tomandcara Didn't mean to butt in. But when I see something that might cause confusion with plants, specially when one is toxic, I can't stop myself.

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@torey THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Yes Latin names are absolutely KEY! I really appreciate you explaining the difference.

• tomandcara

@torey You were totally appropriate to join the conversation. Your posting was, as I said, great and much better than I would have done

• Alison

Thankyou for the great information regarding the difference between the types of crocus bulbs.

In Australia you can find the saffron crocus bulbs at Diggers and Greenharvest. Other sites list them also but I cannot attest to their integrity.

Due to increased demand for seeds etc many of the online stores in Australia are limiting their sales to either current customers, or members.

It was interesting to read of how some experience the taste in different ways. I have heard that the same can be applied to coriander.

I like the fact that these have been a plant and forget investment in my garden. I have not deliberately spent time and energy tending to them at all. They also take up very little space. This is a very rare thing for my garden and is abundantly welcome. Having that delightful little flower in Autumn also adds a wonderful splash of colour as much of the garden becomes dormant.

If others try their hand at saffron I'd enjoy hearing about how it went. 🌷

• Lesley
    Lesley Posts: 28 ✭✭✭

really great post! We picked up some saffron bulbs when we visited Amsterdam to celebrate my 60th birthday. I planted them in a large pot and we harvested the first year and completely forgot the second. It didn't help that my husband chose that pot, that he thought had only tulips in, to put a dahlia in! We also have a patch of (the poisonous) Autumn crocus. Every year they delight and every year we say we must move them as they're almost hidden. They are like jewels that surprise us every year!

• tomandcara

My saffron is planted in some heavy clay soil. It survives but definitely this isn't the best soil for it to thrive. It doesn't blossom every year, but when it does, I diligently collect those 3 stamen from each flower.

• Alison

As an avid gardener who has had a strong focus on producing a large portion of my food, I find it really refreshing to be able to have such a special adjunct. It's nice to be able to go from harvesting large quantities of apricots, apples and other goods, to then slow a little during the say to look at the 'small stuff' and see if there are any new saffron blooms and stamens to collect.

I think it just shows how diverse creation is and how easily we could miss the delightful additions that are around us.

Happy Gardening! 🌸

• Torey

For anyone in Canada, I just got an e-mail from West Coast Seeds, saying that they are currently taking orders for a September delivery of Saffron Crocus bulbs. I'm not sure if they ship across the border. This is a link to their fall bulb page. https://www.westcoastseeds.com/collections/flower-bulbs-fall-planting

• Nicoleburba
    Nicoleburba Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

@torey I tried to buy crocus saffron bulb at this web site in CA, but they do not ship to USA.

• Torey

@Nicoleburba That's too bad. I did a search for Saffron bulbs in the US and found this one: https://www.dutchgrown.com/products/crocus-sativus

and this one: https://www.edenbrothers.com/store/crocus-bulbs-saffron.html

Both are saying to order now for September delivery.

• Nicoleburba
    Nicoleburba Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

@torey Thank you! Have just bought saffron bulbs at dutchgrown