Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Dandelion — The Grow Network Community
When in doubt, throw doubt out and have a little faith….

- E.A. Bucchianeri

Dandelion

maimovermaimover Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
edited November 8 in Wild Edibles & Medicinals

Can anyone tell me what is happening with this dandelion? I’ve never seen this before...

Comments

• shllnzlshllnzl Southwestern UtahPosts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like you have two plants growing together, one with white flowers. An albino dandelion? No, if you look closer, the flowers are significantly different.

I will be waiting for an answer to this question.

• maimovermaimover Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

@shllnzl that fat center stalk with those “flowers” look to be the seed puffs that the flowers turn into. But they stayed like flowers and kind of seeded together like flowers. Very interesting. This is a close up shot

• shllnzlshllnzl Southwestern UtahPosts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen a thistle that produced seed heads similar to that but the leaves were way thornier.

• chimboodle04chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

As we have been harvesting dandelions this year, I have noticed more than one double or triple headed flowers from our yard (which I have not seen before!). I did not take any pictures, but I suspect yours may be the same type of phenomenon. With mine, they were all attached at the flowers base and shared the same sepal - the petals from all three flowers were crammed in there and spread out fan like because of the crowding... Really wish I had thought to take a shot now - the combined flower head was about an inch wide by 3.5 inches long! The only explanation I can think of is that most of our dandelion flowers have been riding very low to the ground (I suspect due to the cold temps) than they usually do - possibly that hunkering down and crowding caused them to grow together as they formed???