System
System Posts: 121 admin
edited November 2020 in Home Grown Food Summit 2020

imageKatrina Blair – Powerful Wild Weeds

Read the full story here

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Very interesting concept, using a homeopathic preparation of the reproductive parts of the weed for weed control. Might have to try this one.

Very good presentation.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Hi Everyone, I hope you catch the live interview that I do with Katrina later today.

I've got a major girl crush going on with Katrina. LOL

• Karen
    Karen Posts: 14 ✭✭✭

I really enjoyed listening to your presentation. Wow I have always wondered how to just go for a walk and get the food to live.

It use to be done. You are very insightful knowing a an early age what your calling was. I plan on buying your book. I would love to eat in the cafe in Durango. I live in So. Dak. I really like what your are all doing. Would be great a to attend a workshop there. Thank you, Karen

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love her book! It's on my reference shelf.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Wow, the live conversation with Katrina has been amazing!

• Adele
    Adele Posts: 18

Great conversation! I especially liked the making of the poultice from the weeds, although I don't quite consider comfrey a weed. I've not been able to find plantain here, but I am inspired to plant some -- and mallow as well. We have plenty of thistle. I'm not sure what kind it is; it's very aggressive and very prickly. Now, I want to research it further, and see what I can do with it. As for dandelions, they are rampant here, and I'm experimenting with different recipes. By the way, I have Katrina's book, and it's amazing. The "worst" weeds here are bindweed and knapweed. I have not discovered any good uses for them, and they are hard to eradicate (I never use herbicides).

• Dana Martin
    Dana Martin Posts: 2 ✭✭✭

We need a 10 million more Katrina's.😍 She is such an inspiration.

• cavymomma
    cavymomma Posts: 4 ✭✭✭

Saw Katrina on Grow Network (?) several years ago. So cool to see her still following her passion and sharing her love and knowledge of 'weeds'!

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was reading an article in BH&G magazine titled Know Your Weeds and how to get rid of them. It divided it up into categories with examples:

Annuals – Lamb’s Quarters

Taprooted – Dandelions

Rhizomatics – Stinging Nettles

Toughies – Plantain

Monsters – Japanese Knotweed

Out of the five categories I am growing three of them: Dandelions, Stinging Nettles, and Plantain.

To paraphrase an old saying – One person’s weed is another person’s medicinal herb.