System Posts: 121 admin
edited November 2020 in Home Grown Food Summit 2020

imagePaul Munsen – Cooking With The Sun

Paul Munsen

Read the full story here

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Really good looking product for those off grid.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I bought one and used it quite a bit for a year. I brought it to our homeschool co-op and everyone was so impressed when we baked chocolate chip cookies in it! The kids still talk about it. I also baked a ham in it. I’m going to use it to dehydrate tomatoes and other produce this summer I think. Time to dust it off.

• Momma Mo
    Momma Mo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Spent the summer, a few years ago, learning the skill of solar cooking. We used items from around the house to cook with the sun. I also made my Physics students create a solar oven as one of our projects and at the end of the project, we cooked hotdogs or smores during a class period. It was a lot of fun, and they came up with some interesting ideas, especially before Goggle became popular.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

MommaMo Would you happen to have and plans for building one of those solar ovens? Would love to try one out in our climate before I decide if it's worth buying one or not.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

hi @vickeym yes, definitely experiment. I built one out of a cardboard box, aluminum foil, and a sheet of plexiglass. It worked! But the great thing about a manufacured product is... it works better 😋 LOL

• Leanna
    Leanna Posts: 12

Well, I didn't get around to watching this video until just now, but I had to order one. I hope I get the turkey rack, too!

I'm just really impressed with how you're trying to help people in poorer countries, Paul. Not to mention those of us who are poor in the U.S. That's one of the main reasons I wanted to get a Sun Oven, but also going over the features of this particular model convinced me it's what I need. I'm in my late sixties and trying to garden and put food by (with no help from my partner, who grew up doing these things and doesn't want to have anything to do with it now! LOL!) I like that I'll be able to dehydrate in it, too.

Question: What size dutch oven is best to fit inside this sun oven?

• ceriridenour
    ceriridenour Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

I have watched presentations about the sun oven for years, and have wanted one ..... I finally got one!!!!!! I have used one I made myself and loved it, but there are limited temps it can reach. So it does take longer to cook. I think this is just what I have been wanting for so long. Hope I am in the first 100 too!!! And I love that the company does so much for those in need.

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 7

Interesting! Thank you for your presentation :)

• Mahogany913
    Mahogany913 Posts: 5 ✭✭✭

I enjoyed this presentation and hope some day soon I can afford a Sun Oven. Excellent job of building up communities around the world.🌞

• Paul
    Paul Posts: 0

The best place to find plans is at this link: http://solarcooking.org/plans/

Keep in mind that a Sun Oven will get about 100 degrees warmer.

Warmly yours,

Paul

• Paul
    Paul Posts: 0

The best place to find plans is at this link: http://solarcooking.org/plans/

Keep in mind that a Sun Oven will get about 100 degrees warmer.

Warmly yours,

Paul

• kchiarini
    kchiarini Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

This presentation was awesome. I never heard of this item. It sounds like it's such a great idea, but I have no room for it, even though it's not large and money is a little tight. I'm hoping in the future I may be able to purchase this. By then, I (hopefully) would have done some purging in my home to make room for the new goodies, and that the money tree would be bearing fruit. Good job! Loved it!

• MissPatricia
    MissPatricia Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

After watching the presentation, which I have seen before several times, I decided to take it outside. I learned that I should have read the instructions more closely so I did not succeed in cooking my roast, but next time I will. I don't want to have to figure it all out during an emergency.