Purslane

SherryA
SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Wild Edibles & Medicinals

I enjoyed this article about purslane. I have some growing in my yard, but I'm never quite sure what to do with it. I'll be saving this article for later when the purslane gets going! https://thegrownetwork.com/purslane-omega-3/

Comments

• jmachledt
    jmachledt Posts: 26 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Purslane is one of the highest fatty acids plants (GREAT source for vegetarians/vegans), I believe - although ours often grows on our driveway and in high traffic areas, so I will only harvest it if it's in our garden in organic soil. Thanks for sharing!

• Momma Mo
    Momma Mo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

When my rabbits get digestive issues, purslane is one of my go-to herbs for them!

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

Purslane in Australia is called pigweed. Not sure why ! When it's growing profusely in my veg garden area, I've started adding it to my salad greens, very palatable.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I love purslane! I first read about it as one of the wild greens foraged in Palestine and Greece. It sounded so exotic, and it turned out to be growing at parks everywhere. I insist on pointing it out to my kids EVERY time we see it, and it gets an eye roll every time.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

Yes thank you for sharing and @MommaMo this is good to know. I’m hoping to get a rabbit soon (not too soon as it’s been crazy around here trying to get a system started after years of gardening inactivity) for some good fertilizer.

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

We enjoy lacto-fermented purslane. I'm not sure if it has the keeping qualities of sauerkraut, but I make a few jars every year.

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

Pretty sure I have been digging this up and getting rid of it as a weed!! Will have to check it is the same one, but if it is, it won't be getting that treatment again!!

• Paradox
    Paradox Posts: 187 ✭✭✭

Just FYI, if you have been digging it up as a weed, be sure now to leave it where you pull it. From what I understand, once it's pulled, it will put all its remaining energy into producing & dropping seed before it totally dies.

• solarnoon.aspen
    solarnoon.aspen Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Christa Maloy

OMG no wonder my garden filled with purslane for a while, as I almost always chop and drop. Problem for me eating it is it is very high in oxalate.

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I have been adding it to salads. It takes a little getting used to as it has an almost sticky inside like aloe. Does anyone know if chickens like it?

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

After pulling purslane as a weed for 60 years or so -- this year I planted it from seed. The germination rate was really good.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

That is funny, @KimWilson, and is not unlike the change made by many others here.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

@Acequiamadre Yes, they will eat it. I found that the egg production will increase, egg weight will increase, and omega 3 will be added to eggs.

You can view the new thread here: https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/844046/purslane-is-beneficial-to-chickens/p1?new=1