Horseradish Root tincture

bw7751
bw7751 Posts: 2 ✭✭✭

I can’t find Horseradish Root in our local health/Grocery stores. I did find a herbal seed company that sells horseradish seed to grow the plant. Would using the leaves of the plant be as helpful for making the tincture that Margaret made on the video for the 2020 summit?

Also is it necessary to use Horseradish for the tincture to help build the immune system or fight viruses?

Bobbie

Answers

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

@bw7751 Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to ask questions. I didn't see the video that you are referencing and can't find one listed with Margaret as the presenter. Which presentation was it?

I have never made a tincture with horseradish. That would be soooo potent! I use it in Fire Cider and make my own horseradish sauce to accompany meats. I should say that my husband makes it as I can't be in the house when it is being grated. I have also added it (in small amounts) to vinegars for salad dressings.

I have no experience planting the seeds. Whenever we have moved, I just found someone with a plant and got a piece from them. You can sometimes find it in garden centres if you look in the section that sells onion sets, asparagus roots, etc. It grows so prolifically that one plant becomes many, especially after you dig it up. You never get all the pieces of root so new plants grow from small sections.

• bw7751
    bw7751 Posts: 2 ✭✭✭

Torey,

I’m so sorry that I got Margery Wildcraft name wrong as Margaret. The tincture was called “Fire Cider” or “Four Thieves” and I think the first video of the 2020 summit. I also watched a another video from that presentation with Shira Bocar making the “Fire Cider” in a gallon glass jar. I want to make some and may not be able to use the horseradish. I have a small jar of store bought German horseradish but I’m not sure I can use it and to be effective.

• Torey

@bw7751 Everyone makes their Fire Cider a bit differently depending on availability of ingredients and personal preference. There are many recipes on the internet. However, the basics always seem to include Horseradish. You could try the store bought but it won't have the same kick as the fresh. You could ask your grocer if they could bring it in for you. Fire Cider has been in the press a lot lately, so there may be others who would purchase it as well. The larger chain grocers should have it.

This is a link to a thread that I started last fall. There had been some other discussions about pine needles as well as Fire Cider so I conducted a small experiment and the results are here. https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/842627/fire-cider-experiment

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,518 admin

@bw7751 @torey knows her plants well and gave excellent advice.

If I remember correctly, Rosemary Gladstar, the queen of Fire Cider, said that you can still make the fire cider without horseradish, but it won't be as potent. I would ask the locals for horseradish root, put out a wanted ad, and check the nurseries & seed supply companies as well.

Horseradish is fickle and starts to deteriorate soon after digging. It is best to find it locally. I have never tried growing it from seed.

• tammyrichardsmt9
    tammyrichardsmt9 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

If you can find someone to give you some it should grow well. I took all of mine out of one bed last season to give to friends and family - and just like mentioned above, you never get it all - it is coming up again!

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

@bw7751 I got a small root from a family member about 25 years ago. Planted it in a container, as I was warned about it spreading. The horseradish is still thriving.

• Torey

I have a friend who thought she would keep her horseradish in an old metal wash tub to keep it from escaping. It split the side of the tub and escaped anyway.

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

Tenacious plant, for certain. I have it in a half wine barrel planter and I know the barrel won't last many more seasons.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

Interesting information on the horseradish; have some on order to plant; hoping that it is still available... I was thinking of the whiskey barrel to grow it.

• drpclarke
    drpclarke Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

I bought 3 horseradish plants 3 years ago and it does spread like wildfire. I don't mind it however (at least right now). I never liked horseradish until I grew it. It makes an awesome that goes with more than meats. I made a dip that works well with chips. I love this stuff now.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

bw7751 Thank you for bringing this up. I did not realize it was invasive. A friend brought me a piece from her brother's garden in Minnesota. It was late last fall and we had no place to overwinter it. My husband buried it in a well aged compost pile. Hoping it survived our winter. But sounds like I may need to get it contained quickly if it did. We can't plant outside until June 1st here. So we will see how it goes.

• Torey

@vickeym Its only invasive to the extent that you dig the roots. Any bits left will regrow. So your patch will get bigger and bigger in size over the years. If you were to accidentally rototill a patch throughout your garden (if, for example, you didn't know it was there), then you would have a fairly invasive situation on hand. It would take forever to get it all out of your garden. So just make sure you put it in an area that it has room to expand a bit and grow into more plants. I like to harvest 2-3 year old roots so if you have more than one plant your can rotate your harvests.

I have a plant that I put at the end of my driveway that has become a large landscape plant. It has never been dug up and is about 5 feet in diameter. I would need an excavator to dig it out now. But it is growing in a spot where little else will grow and it needs no attention.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is good to know. I have a great idea now for where to plant. I make huge batches of fire cider and love horseradish on most beef dishes. Though my husband does not care for it. Since our local store does not carry it and last two times they ordered it for me it was not very good quality I am looking forward to growing and having enough to add to our market offerings as well.