Winter almost upon us!

With the colder weather approaching, I got busy this morning in the kitchen and bottled my first ever fire cider. It sat in a jar for a month and then I rolled the excess plant material into balls and froze, figured I could use in cooking curries. I got close to 1 ltr of liquid fire cider. Bottled it in amber and put in the fridge. Also made my first batch of elderberry syrup using dried berries and it tastes great. Anyone have thoughts on how much one should take if I feel a cold etc coming on. I figured a tblsp of either.

Comments

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

@jodienancarrow the recipe card for the Elderberry Syrup making kit from TGN notes the standard dose is 1 teaspoon (5mL) to 1 Tablespoon (15mL) per day and during illness (like cough, colds, or flu) to increase it from once a day to every 2 to 3 hours. There is an added note that reads "Some sources recommend taking weekdays only to boost immunity."

From what I've read elsewhere, this is the standard adult dose. Children should receive less but can't lay my hands on that info even though I know I have it.

Hope this helps.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

@jodienancarrow

You can take Fire cider by the tablespoon. straight up or in a bit of water if it is too strong. You will get used to it, even come to enjoy it perhaps. I have made salad dressing with it so I think a serving would count as a dose. That's a very interesting thought, freezing the marc. I will have to try that next time.

The elderberry syrup can be taken 3-4 times per day in tablespoon doses. I add brandy to mine to extend the shelf life (and to add to patient compliance) so I will take it in slightly larger doses. It is a food medicine and there isn't much danger of overdoing. Christopher Hobbs had a very good presentation recently that included elderberry, on Botonic Wise. He reiterated that point, that elderberry is a food medicine. LearningHerbs website has elderberry gummies that are quite delicious (also in Rosalee's new book, Wild Remedies). The syrup is good poured over ice cream, too. If your cold or flu progresses, there are other herbal remedies that might be more effective, depending on your symptoms.