Guess this plant

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,218 admin
edited November 2020 in Plant ID

I often put seeds into my houseplant pot soil & I don't often forget what I put where. For the life of me, I really don't know what I put in here. I thought at first that it was broadleaf plantain. It certainly doesn't look/feel like it at this point. It looks like grass or grain, neither of which I planted!

The leaves are tender. I get no smell from them when I touch them. It has a tiny seed. It tastes green, so that's no help either.

I am stumped. I will need to put it in something else soon, whatever it is!

Tagged:

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you ever have lemongrass seed?

• LaurieLovesLearning

@shllnzl No. I keep killing my lemongrass. It never got as far as making seed. One of my kids already asked if it could be lemongrass. ;)

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like a young tree for which I have no idea what it is...but it is pretty. Can't wait to find out what it is..

• LaurieLovesLearning

@silvertipgrizz Neither can I!

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a grass that I get in my yard a lot.

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

How about cat grass?

I plant some of it every year to keep the outdoor cats out of my garden area. They have their own garden with catnip, cat grass and several other items which they can roam thru and chomp away at its contents.

Your picture there looks like cat grass which just happens to look like lawn grass also until it gets a little bigger.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Yes, it looks very much like grass. I agree.

But this plant has never been outside and I have no grass seed that would have been planted inside. I have no grass type plants that might have dropped seed into this pot. I haven't changed this pot's soil. It is a very strange mystery.

I think that I will just have to try to transplant it & wait to see what happens.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about barley? Maybe you put a few seeds in that pot.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited May 2020

@kbmbillups1 Not barley. The seed is not the same. My husband is saying possibly millet or another seed of a similar size is a possibility given the size of the seed (the same or a bit smaller than sesame seed) and the fact that those seeds are in some of the feed we are getting for the chickens. He says grass seed is shaped much differently, and I think he is right.

I didn't have anything to do with that type of transfer of seed from bag to pot, so I am starting to think that maybe the kids did something and no longer remember either. They are so busy doing a million things at once, 😳 like a bunch of Looney Tunes Tasmanian devils.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like wheat but your description would make the seed too small. It does appear to be some kind of grass.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning Ok I thought you were talking about the big plant and not the grass.. I'm curious to know what your plant is. As far as the grass, it looks like ordinary grass to me. It doesn't look like the cat grass I usually grow either.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,285 admin

Looks like sorghum to me..... but, what would you be doing with sorghum up there?

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,407 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning This looks familiar but I can't place it. Your husband might be on the right track. Looking forward to see what it grows into.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@silvertipgrizz The large plant us a variegated jade. I ran across the scientific name for it somewhere once by accident, but no longer remember what it was.

@judsoncarroll4 That must be the other seed that my husband mentioned. If it is that, it would have come with animal feed.

@torey I will let everyone know.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Well, it looks like some type of annual grass. It has fine, shallow roots. If anyone knows for sure what it is, I'd be curious. Otherwise, I am going to go with that it is just some sort of grass.

My husband said that sorghum is occasionally in a mix of green feed & is cut before going to seed.

The only way that I can think of that it got in there is if the seeds stayed dormant, in a little cluster, for a few years. My aunt uses her sandy soil for many of her plants and this is of that same sandy soil. This plant has never been outside.

I will keep the roots in water for a little while since I so harshly pulled it up (lol), then repot it and put it in my serama pen. If they snack on it, great. If they eat it all, I am fine with that too.

• LaurieLovesLearning

The tallest plant is approximately 7" tall.