Canning Green Beans

vickeym
vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think I might have bitten off more than I can handle. Had a really good sale for our area on fresh green beans at the grocery. Bought 9 cases 4.5 pounds each of green beans. Planning to can them tomorrow. Have been snapping every spare moment since last night. Before work this morning, while cooking supper tonight, after we ate. Not even through half. Then realized for some reason I had double counted how many jars my canner will hold. Looks like we will have green beans to last for awhile. I ended up with 40.5 pounds of green beans. 😀

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

Wow! You certainly have your work cut out for you. If you have a water bath canner as well as a pressure canner, you can get both going. I have done green beans this way before and they turn out really well. This link is for a recipe similar to the one I use. https://www.food.com/recipe/canned-green-or-wax-beans-water-bath-method-174348

Sorry, I can't access my recipes right now as I have all my cookbooks packed for a reno project.

You could try dilled beans, too. There are a number of online recipes. The one at All Recipes looks good. They go great in a bloody mary or bloody caesar.

• vickeym

torey Yes, it will be a busy day. Will be pressure canning all of them. We don't care much for them pickled. But once they are all snapped it is only a 20 minute processing time. And an hour or two to bring canner p to pressure. lol Also have 4 - 72 pack trays of starter plants to get transplanted today. They had a major growth spurt yesterday and are too big for the tiny little starter pots.

Hope you have a safe trip to Reno and your project goes well.

• Torey

@vickeym LOL! Things don't always translate well in text, especially with abbreviations. I'm not going to Reno (can't cross the border right now). I have a "reno"vation project happening right now. Ripped up all our old (disgusting) carpet and the carpenter is coming tomorrow to lay hardwood flooring. That's why all my cookbooks are packed away.

• vickeym

torey LOL That explains a lot. I was wondering why you were taking your cookbooks to "Reno." Thought your project might be teaching a cooking class or something.

I'm not good with the texting abbreviations anyway. So that doesn't help either.

• vickeym

I over estimated how many beans I would need. Switched from pints to quarts in the first load. Ended up with 42 quarts of green beans. lol

Takes a lot of time to snap over 40 pounds of beans especially when you are working 10 hour days as well. Gklad they are finished. Now to get my vegetable starts repotted, then on to canning ground beef. Busy, busy.

• Torey

@vickeym That's a great stockpile to have on hand! I can imagine how busy you are.

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

I love canned green beans, they are the best! Good luck!

• vickeym

Yes, I believe we are good on green beans for a while at least. lol Now I not only need to get my starts transplanted to bigger pots but I still have hamburger to cook and can up. Plus was gifted a bunch of game meat scraps for my dog. And by a bunch I mean somewhere like 9 gallon bags stuffed as full as I could and still close them. Need to get those canned as well. There are some other things in our freezer I need to get canned up before it gets too warm as well. We live off grid so need to get our second freezer emptied if possible so we don't have to run the generator as much.

They are allowing businesses in the state to reopen as of Friday. Hopefully we will be ready for whatever comes our way.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

@vickeym wow! You’re story of the beans is encouraging and making me think really hard, lol. I’ve never canned anything before in my life but have gardened before. Purchased an all American canner yesterday from amazon. This year like many folks I feel a serious need to grow and preserve for the fall/winter/spring. The local farm nearby puts out cases of asparagus near the end of the picking season. I spoke with them about it for this year n about the beginning of June is when they will be available; told her I wanted to get two cases. It’s gonna be a lot of asparagus; hoping to freeze some as well as jar some. Good luck with all your beans. They sure will be tasty this winter 😊

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

@vickeym - Wow! That’s awesome! Sounds like you had a full couple days! Great start to the pantry though!

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭

@vickeym I was reading about all of those green beans and it reminded me of the day my mother was pressure canning green beans. Thankfully she had canned green beans before. But on this particular day the pressure canner blew and she had green beans from floor to ceiling in our kitchen (which was large). My dad came home from work and took all four of us kids away from the house. My mother had an Irish temper and usually she was very even tempered; but on this day she lost her temper. Just had to share. I know it was quite a mess!

• Melinda
    Melinda Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

That's a lot of beans. That is both wonderful and on a "holy crap" scale.

• vickeym

dipat2005 Holy smokes. Very happy that has never happened to me.

I did finally get them all canned. Spent my last 3 days off, transplanting my starts and still have probably another 5 hours or so to finish them. Can't put outside until at least June 1. Then it is back to canning again, still have potatoes, some meat and some jellies to can up before the garden gets far enough to start harvesting and canning what I get from there.

• Momma Mo
    Momma Mo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Hoping to start canning green beans in about a week!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

Have you ever heard of Green Bean Soup? It is a traditional Mennonite soup with a ham bone broth base and summer savory, etc. If anyone is interested in the recipe, I could post it in a new thread.

I enjoy it now, but hated it as a kid. I didn't like green beans at all, but ate the soup anyway, especially at my grandma's. I respected Grandma and one way to show it was by eating what was placed in front of me. Now the soup reminds me of her and it makes the soup extra special.

• Torey

@LaurieLovesLearning Thanks for posting the recipe. I couldn't find it in my Mennonite cookbook. My oldest daughter loves green beans so I'm sure she will enjoy this soup!

• vickeym

This soup sounds very good. Thank you very much for sharing.