Hypothesis: Vitamin D Deficiency Linked to COVID-19 Mortality

New study suggests vitamin D is linked to COVID-19 mortality — how a common vitamin could become pivotal

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/new-study-suggests-vitamin-d-linked-covid-19-mortality-141201888.html

A new study from researchers at Trinity College Dublin has hypothesized that vitamin D deficiency may be linked to higher mortality rates from COVID-19. Published in the Irish Medical Journal, the report analyzed vitamin D levels of older people in countries heavily affected by the coronavirus and found that places with high death rates from COVID-19, including Italy and Spain, also had rates of vitamin D deficiency.

Comments

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've read a lot about vitamin D deficiency and covid 19 on many different sites as well as vitamin C. Everyone in my family is taking both.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

Vitamin D is good for stress, regardless if it is mental or physical stress. Stress creates inflammation and when you are in an inflammatory state you are more likely to get sick from whatever is going around. @judsoncarroll4 is right about the amount of sunshine that we get compared to our ancestors. Even those who live in northern latitudes knew about vitamin D and would supplement the lack of sunshine with cod live oil in the winter. Most of us who live above 35°N latitude need a vitamin d supplement of some kind from October through March. There is also evidence that vitamin d helps boost immune system reactions, so another reason that a deficiency could possibly increase the susceptibility for more serious illness.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,602 admin

My first thought was what aren't they telling us in this study? Why was that conclusion jumped to? Who stands to gain financially from this? It is only a hypothesis, yet so many people & media will jump on it as truth.

It is well known that vitamin D absorption is generally lower in older people. This study would have more of a foundation to stand on if they found lower vitamin D in all age groups in all of the areas tested and determined that all age groups are susceptible to the virus because of low vit. D. I don't think this study supports enough to act upon. My suspicion is that the association is coincidental.

On this note, I do believe that most people are no longer getting enough not only because they are told to not be outside during most of the day, and they are no longer getting enough through their foods (as in raw milk from outdoor, grass reared & pastured cows, etc.).

Guess where this wisdom that gets people less vitamin D has come from? The scientific community & medical establishment that survives off the business of scaring people & creating sick people to keep their money racket thriving.

My other thoughts are, where does this study come from; who paid for it; who manufactures synthetic vit D? Is the synthetic vit. D, that most people will pop, adequate?

People are scared of cancer...so the solution is to wear synthetic chemical laden sunblock & sunscreens and/or stay inside during "peak" hours. Also, stay inside in the evenings because of west nile mosquito exposure. Don't drink raw milk from pastured cows. This milk contains natural and easily absorbable vit. D. But you can't drink it because it all has cooties in it that will hurt you. They never tell the full truth, nor do they care to keep you healthy.

I recently read that all the sanitizers used everywhere now (Hello? Where is the soap & water?) are going to accelerate the proliferation of superbugs too.

What a perfect storm has been created.

• LaurieLovesLearning

I should stop posting today. Ugh. My posts need less words...

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning -- always good questions to ask of any study! <3

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

As vitamin D is essential for immune system function it would not be surprising if a deficiency has a part to play in covid infection, as it would in any infection. And of course, infection creates a stress in the body, so lack of vitamin D plays a part in that as well.

@LaurieLovesLearning your questions are exactly what everyone should ask when they read any study, unfortunately, not many do, just take what the media reports at face value. And vitamin D is anti-cancer, so by keeping out of the sun, we're actually contributing to having skin cancer?

• Karin
    edited May 2020
  • LaurieLovesLearning

@kmartin.mail Yes, I am a strong supporter that you need the sun to keep healthy.

I have had a rare form of skin cancer. The number one thought people have is..."Oh! From not wearing sunscreen!" However, it was not caused by the sun, but by other factors beyond my control. I have been cancer free for very many years now.

I am not the only one who supports that sunscreen/block contributes to skin cancers in more ways than one. Those synthetic chemicals can't be truly safe & they prevent you from absorbing the wonderful gift that the sun has for you.

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

Being outside, getting some sun and physical exercise has got to be good for you.

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, vitamin D is very important for many functions in the body. I saw recently that they were saying "mysterious Kawasaki like disease in children, could it be caused by Covid"... I was suspicious immediately but then saw an article about very low levels of vitamin D in Kawasaki patients.. hmmm let me see, they've forced everyone indoors, children are not on the soccer fields, or any sporting events or recess or anything... I just cant imagine why they are coming down with Kawasaki... and it is definitely NOT covid.... smh. I will try and find the article and post!

• drpclarke
    drpclarke Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

Very interesting read for sure. Having spent many years doing research in another field, I too ask the questions of what is it that they aren't telling. Also, there is one thing to have a hypothesis, but you must have valid and reliable testing through random sampling. I also think it isn't wise to publish in a medical journal a hypothesis. After digging to find the article, I also found another doctor that published in the same journal an editorial calling his article "Vitamin D and Covid 19: A Note of Caution." I would love to see it come down to increasing our Vitamin D intake. Thank you for sharing this topic in the forum.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@lmrebert & @drpclarke What interesting finds! It would be interesting to know more...it is not just the older folks who are susceptible, and what you both shared has a very fascinating feel to it.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys should look on Facebook, YouTube, or Instagram for Dr. Shiva's video on Vitamin D and Covid19. He explains it in great detail. It's called Vitamin D Defends You. He's done several on boosting your immune system as well.

• Karin

@LaurieLovesLearning glad to hear you are cancer-free and are doing fine :)

I remember reading an article many many years ago when melanoma started to become a "hot" topic (sorry), and their hypothesis was related to people eating fake fats and transfats, like margarine, instead of butter. Of course, butter has vitmain D in it, so there may have been some small association. Part of their supposition was because many melanomas apparently occur in areas that are not necessarily exposed to the sun, therefore not caused by sun exposure. I have never seen any follow-up to that hypothesis or any further articles exploring that avenue so I guess it died by the wayside.

• This is very interesting.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Again, there is vit. D/covid-19 in the news (CTV) in Canada due to ongoing studies. The best way to get vit. D, they admitted, is from the sun. You cannot overdose on natural vit. D, so get gardening! 😄

• danielle.meitiv
    danielle.meitiv Posts: 30 ✭✭✭

I have read a lot about the link between Vit D & COVID. Most Americans are not just deficient but insufficient in Vitamin D, meaning their levels are below what's needed for basic functioning, especially of the immune system. I take VIt D as an oral supplement (with K) and spend time in the sun.

CONFESSION: I never wear sunscreen (except occasionally on my cheeks/nose and tops of my shoulders at the beach). Instead I cover up and head into the shade when it's hot. I've managed to avoid getting anything more than a mild redness for decades.

Sunscreen only protects you from UVA &B and those are not the only culprits when it comes to cancer. Also, IMO people rely on sunscreen too much and not their body's natural signals, staying in the sun when they should cover up or go into the shade.

My 2 cents

Danielle

• LaurieLovesLearning

Here is a more recent study:

By the way, K. P. Khalsa, in his "Relaxed" series, mentioned magnesium, vit. B complex & vitamin D as being very important in this time to deal with inflammation & stress.