Tiny Italian Prune Plums!

Mary Linda Bittle, West Plains, Missouri
Mary Linda Bittle, West Plains, Missouri Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Vegetables

I almost gave up on this tree, planted with the pear, the apple, and the cherry in 2016. I've already gotten fruit from those. But the plum...I got blossoms last year, but they froze one night, and the entire center of the tree died. IO pruned it back to green wood, and then ignored it all winter. I got lots of blooms , and now tiny baby plums! See the little brown crown of dried flower? I'm so excited! #growingfoodinmyyard

Comments

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Colorado front range- Denver MetroPosts: 713 ✭✭✭✭

I am so happy for you @Mary Linda Bittle I had struggling little Italian plum tree and mine died over this last winter :-(

• Mary Linda Bittle, West Plains, Missouri
    Mary Linda Bittle, West Plains, Missouri Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tomandcara I really didn't expect much from it. I guess I give up too quickly sometimes, but then I've never grown fruit trees before.

• dipat3005
    dipat3005 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle when it comes to fruit trees patience is hard to maintain. I used to put aluminum pie tins in my cherry tree with string so the birds would stay away from the fruit. It was a very large tree. I don't remember birds bothering the smaller fruit trees.

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Colorado front range- Denver MetroPosts: 713 ✭✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle And maybe I have too much patience. My brother-in law told me in October and a friend told e in September my tree was dead and I told hem I was certain it would come back in the spring. Hahaha! Sometimes my patience pays off. frequently I just don't want to admit a plant is really dead.

• Leediafastje
    Leediafastje WA State, Olympic Mtns, Zone 8Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle I have an Italian Prune tree that produces very well every year (4 and counting). I keep the center pruned out each year and encourage horizontal branches. I'm not a professional but, I believe the yearly pruning (in early spring) promotes fruit growth. My tree looks like an umbrella.

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows.

-Epictetus