Have you ever dehydrated frozen vegetables?

I just watched this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hafdtE5Wz_I

I know some people can previously frozen food, but admit there is a marked loss of quality and nutrition. This looks like the food is still relatively good. I don't know if I would do vegetables from the store, but if I have leftovers from last year when I go to freeze this year's crop, I may give it a try.

Tagged:

Comments

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

That was interesting! I never thought of doing that, but they look pretty much ok afterwards. Also would keep well in the vacuum sealed jars. We din't have a problem with freezer space at the moment but might keep that in mind if we downsize!

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

@Gail H if you try this, let us know if you are happy with the end product! :) Super interesting!

• I have given it some thought to save freezer space but have not tried it yet myself.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely interesting! What a great add to soups and stews for more intense flavor. I dehydrated some summer squash (not frozen first) and when put into a soup or stew they have the most interesting texture! They don't just cook to mush but are somewhat chewy. I wonder if they would be like that if frozen first...definitely keep us posted and thanks!

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭

One day I decided to rehydrate 1 cup of dehydrated carrots. I had peas and carrots. I put the remaining carrots into the refrigerator and forgot about them and the dehydrated again. I then rehydrated them and ate them. They were very tasty. I want you to know this is a true story.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

Surely something to consider. Thx for sharing...

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

@Merin Porter Here are the results of my experiment:

I wanted to bolster our food storage a bit more, but freezer space and canning supplies are both at a premium right now, so I gave this a whirl. I purchased two bags of organic mixed vegetables at the grocery store and just opened the bags of still frozen veggies and put them on dehydrator trays.

The vegetables dehydrated quite quickly and seem to have good color and flavor. They are a bit different than fresh dehydrated veggies. When I have done fresh corn in the past, you could break a tooth on it. These aren't that dense. They're not like freeze dried vegetables, but not as solid as fresh to dried. I think this would probably only work for "boring" vegetables like peas, green beans, corn, etc. Fancier blends with mushrooms, onion slivers, broccoli florets and the like might not dry evenly.

It certainly was a simple process and these will be handy to have if the power goes out and I don't want to open the fridge or freezer. If I see a fabulous deal on frozen veggies, I will probably do more.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭✭

I've taken both fresh and frozen vegetables added cooked rice seasonings and sauce dehydrated it then packaged in zip lock bags and shipped them off to my son. To use he just needs to rehydrate them. Depending on how hungry/tired he is, he may or may not bother to use hot water. They loose their eye appeal but the flavors are still there. He's in med school doing rotations so no time to cook, no money for to go food. And I get to feel like a mom a little bit longer 😀

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Super interesting, @Gail H ! Good to know this can be done and it's so easy. I really appreciate you circling back around with us to let us know how it turned out!

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

@annbeck62 What kind of sauce do you use in your meal packets? tomato? soy? It sounds like a good idea!