Blimey! I'm a Limey. Ergo Montezuma's Revenge and Remedy...

Voodoo Flóra
Voodoo Flóra Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in Making Herbal Medicine

Purchased a Mexican lime tree a few years ago in a gallon pot. It has been a little beauty, attracting all kinds of pretty nocturnal pollinators like moths on warm summer nights, its pure white flowers giving a delightful sweet smell to our patio. One year we missed the freeze and it lost all its leaves. Brought it inside and nurtured it back to health and now it is bigger and stronger than ever. It gives maybe a handful of limes each summer going into fall. I just love my little Mexican lime tree as the plant mama I am, looking the other way when people ask is it really worth it for such small production. Well the other day I'm pruning it as for the first time it is superabundant with so many leaves. I smell my hands and am struck by how amazing is the lime fragrance. Sure enough and DUH to me the lime leaves make an amazing tea. Perhaps the leaves even more than the fruit is the most valuable medicinal part of the plant!!! Making the tea is simple enough. If you want an even simpler fix, just crumple the leaves and let them sit in a glass of room temperature water on the counter. I'm not good with numbers, but if everyone did this America's health care bills would decline by about 75%. Wanted to share with all TGN people those who didn't know this. Provides a super easy to grow amazing medicine year round from an absolute wonder of a plant that can make a huge statement of beauty in your kitchen greenhouse.

Comments

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

I guess that's why lime leaves are used in cooking!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

@aprilbbrinkman So, a very useful tree that can double as a houseplant? That is something that I can get behind.

What is the botanical name? I want to see if there is any way that I can buy it here, perhaps on rare seed sites or something.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning There is a citrus grower on Vancouver Island that has a pretty good selection of several varieties. I've never ordered from them so I don't know what their shipping costs or protocols are. A friend of mine lives close to them and purchased a lime tree for me but I'm not very good a house plants and it eventually died. I don't think it was humid enough in my house. Their website isn't very informative but you can contact them for more information as to varieties available, shipping, etc. Links to some youtubes on growing citrus among other things. https://www.fruittreesandmore.com/

There is a lime leaf that is sold in grocery stores, but it is usually kaffir lime leaves. Citrus hystrix. Not that you couldn't substitute other lime leaves, but this one has a much stronger scent.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,461 admin

I really enjoy the flavor of lime leaves in Thai style curries - will definitely keep this in mind. Thanks!

• Voodoo Flóra
    edited May 2020

@LaurieLovesLearning I am going to propagate new plant / plants as possible. Once I have successfully I would send a baby to you for free. Here's hoping! This is Mexican lime, which I got from my local nursery. Scientific name is citrus aurantifolia. I don't know if it's bc the border is closed now or what but the nursery is now selling gallon plants for like $100 bucks!!!

• Voodoo Flóra

@judsoncarroll4 very astute the Thai have a huge tradition from what I understand growing the lime tree and using it in cooking and teas. If you have a malady from the Americas I don't know...all I can say I'm now a Mexican lime tree junkie. Chewing all the leaves I can get my hands on!!!

• Voodoo Flóra

@kmartin.mail YES and the Thai have a tried and true tradition using the kaffir leaves in a wide variety of culinary creations. My experience growing at home is with the Mexican lime. I chew the leaves right off the tree now. It works on microbes all the way from the gums to the gut. Tasty too!

• Voodoo Flóra

@torey the scientific name is citrus aurantifolia what is the lime tree of the Americas--those who've ever tasted key lime pie know this plant. Yummers!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@aprilbbrinkman Usually a permit is required for any plant material to cross the border. I wish that I could say to send one. Thank you for the scientific name, though. I know of a few places that deal in rare & exotic seeds and/or plants.

I read yesterday that the border is going to be closed at least until close to the end of June.

• Voodoo Flóra

@LaurieLovesLearning be well hope you find one I'm sipping on my lime leaf tea with honey right now. I haven't woken up wanting herbal tea over coffee during the morning hours for going on four years now. What can I say this innocent looking citrus has taken me over. Next it will have me wearing a bandanna mask and breaking past border patrol LOL IF you make it to the Pac NW pls. let me know. I enjoy your posts.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Well, thank you. 🤗

If I ever do go out that way (I think your general area is beautiful!), I'd be happy to meet you as well. I think that if I do get go travel, that I would like to meet the many wonderful characters that I have met here. How could I pass by and not say hello? I really do appreciate you all!

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

Okay I officially want a lime tree...and a Meyer lemon tree. The idea of having to haul one inside when it's too cold and out when it's warm again just never sounded good to me. After reading all of this, however, I have changed my mind. I don't have a greenhouse but I do have room inside my house to put them, I'll just have to put some lights on them. When I told my youngest daughter who lives with me about it she didn't even bat an eye. Am I rubbing off on her or has she just given up until she has enough data to have me committed lol? 🤣

• Voodoo Flóra

@seeker.nancy yes once we fully settle to our homestead I want a Meyer lemon as well. Also I'm going to grow more limes. Hopefully you can find one near you. Post photos of your new baby when you get it! I only hope one day the neighborhood children point vaguely down the lane to our homestead and say that's where the crazy plant lady lives!!!

• Voodoo Flóra

@LaurieLovesLearning awesome I love TGN it attracts good people.

@aprilbbrinkman crazy plant lady is one of the things my kids call me lol!

• Voodoo Flóra

@seeker.nancy you are a blessed lady

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@aprilbbrinkman Thanks for posting this. I'm hoping this tree will grow in zone 7 so I can give it a try..

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just looked up this lime and this site had some interesting information about the Mexican lime and where it is and has been grown.

It looks like Key limes are another name for Mexican limes.

Thanks @vickeym I had no idea they were the same! Good to know.

• Voodoo Flóra

@silvertipgrizz as long as you can bring the lime tree plant inside before the first frost and keep it in a greenhouse or protected with above freezing temps I'll bet you do great. Then enjoy the lovely sweet flowers on your summer patio along with all the plant's healing medicine. I'd love to hear how it grows!!!

• Voodoo Flóra
    edited June 2020

@vickeym what an awesome article! I can tell you from experience and without even trying that the lime tree I have in a huge pot does indeed self-propagate by sending up little junior shoots. And this is in a pot!!! I had no idea Boston school kids were eating pickled limes--what a good idea and so much simpler and healthier than most the crap children eat today unfortunately. The Mexican (key) lime is super hardy indeed and mine at least has never had even one insect infestation. They are vulnerable to freezing temps, but otherwise do great. There are so many things to mention from this knowledgeable article! Very interesting the leaves have been used for certain specific purposes, but I think they have been super undervalued. Finally, come on America we are making key lime pie from Tahitian limes?!? Sounds like some entrepreneur needs to get a move on.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

seeker.nancy I had no idea they were the same either.

aprilbbrinkman and aprilbbrinkman Unfortunately, the fact that they cannot handle frosts or freezing temps means I will never be able to grow them in Alaska. But still good information.

• Voodoo Flóra

@seeker.nancy unless you build a magic greenhouse!!!

@aprilbbrinkman I like that idea lol!

• bcabrobin
    bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

How to grow a plant from a seed

You can plant the seed directly in a pot of soil or place it in a plastic bag. Before planting lime seeds, however, be sure to wash them and you may even want to allow them to dry for a couple days, then plant them as soon as possible. Plant seeds about ¼ to ½ inch deep in containers with well-draining soil.

• bcabrobin
    bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

Just read that limes are good for:

Reducing belly fat, preventing cavities, helps you get a good night's sleep, great insecticide, reduce stress, boost mood & energy, it is antimicrobial, helps control cravings and blood sugar, Chronic inflammation is eased, anti-aging, cancer fighting, , supports healthy neurotransmitters - (Alzheimer's Disease), citrus benefits a healthy heart.

Bet you didn't know your little lime tree could do so much!

• Voodoo Flóra

@bcabrobin that is excellent information and limes are so yummy too!!! Thank you for sharing!

• Voodoo Flóra

@seeker.nancy please post photos of your magic greenhouse once you've built it!!!

• Voodoo Flóra

@vickeym same goes for you please post photos of that magic greenhouse!!! Thank you for your post. You get the limetastic sticker.

@aprilbbrinkman still working on the spell 😉😂