Trouble Getting Your Lilacs To Bloom

greyfurball
greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

This year our weather has been totally screwy so my lilac bushes haven't even tried to bloom.

Now the weather has went from truly cold straight into Summer temps so I don't believe I will be seeing any blooms at all on these bushes this year. To me, that is unfortunate because having at least one bouquet in the house is a rite of Spring. The rest, I leave on the bush though to enjoy their wonderful fragrance whenever I walk around in the yard.

But some of you may still be just going into your blooming season for your li;ac bushes so to enhance their yearly show, here is a few tips which I have found makes them work better, some for insude, some for outside.

Try these and hope you enjoy them.

Comments

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

@greyfurball interesting bit of information. Since my lilacs are just starting to bloom, will try a vase using your method. Will also try one using my old way of doing it. My wife loves the smell of lilacs in the house. Anxious to give it a try. Thanks

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

@EarlKelly

when finished let us know how the experiment went. Especially let us know what your old way is so we can see/try the difference also. hopefully next year.

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

Thank you. My mom has a very special lilac bush that was started from her grandmother's lilac bush. It had hardly any blooms on it this year. It was very disappointing because my mom is 91 years old and we don't know how many lilac seasons she has left. I need to do whatever I can to get it to bloom next year!

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

My floral preserve that I have always used is, 1 quart lukewarm water, 2teaspoons lemon juice, 1teaspoon household bleach, and 1 teaspoon sugar. Used this in one vase and then smashed the ends of the stem in another vase. They both lasted about the same amount of days. Not too many flowers within reach this year. Going to try it again next year. Interesting little experiment. Thanks

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

Nice. My mother has several lilacs bushes. She loves clipping them to bring into the house, and the aroma is strong. Happiness for sure

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

My lilacs are just beginning to bloom.

I have a yellow lilac bush. its small so I have not had issues with it yet but I hear they are short lived. Has anyone grown these before.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@Denise Grant I had never heard of a yellow lilac! Googled it and how beautiful! I am going to have to try to get one of these. Maybe not this year cause the only garden centres that seem to have it are all in south coastal BC and we are under an "essential only" travel restriction to that area. Don't think that a trip for a desired plant would be considered essential. :) But it is now on my Wish (need) List.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey What, a plant not essential? No way..

Yes, they are stunning. I wonder if I could get away with sending you a cutting?

My "need" list is way too long