Quack grass- my enemy
Does anyone have tips for fighting off quack grass? We have it all over the yard. I couldn't care less that it's in the lawn. I don't like it in the vegetable garden, but with a garden fork and diligent weeding, its manageable. What isn't so manageable is having it in my flower bed; there are roses and perennials in there, so I can't just take a fork to it. Weeding by hand is the only method I know, and those roots are so tough they hurt my hands. I have wild Yarrow in the same bed, and it also spreads underground and lands in places I don't want it, but at least it doesn't hurt to yank it out.
I tried landscape fabric covered in mulch to make a path between my flower beds.. Ha ha! the grass said. For a year or two it worked, then the quack grass grew right through the fabric and mulch. Now the fabric is rooted to the ground- I can barely pull weeds out of it, but I also can't remove the fabric, other than a little piece at a time.
The worst of all however, is when quack grass roots get into your compost pile, grow all through it, and basically "eat" it.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 508 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 517 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter