Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Comfrey — The Grow Network Community
When in doubt, throw doubt out and have a little faith….

- E.A. Bucchianeri

Comfrey

silvertipgrizzsilvertipgrizz Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 7 in Growing Medicinals
Tagged:

Comments

• sallyhowardsallyhoward AustraliaPosts: 106 ✭✭✭

Thanks for that scientific info!

• silvertipgrizzsilvertipgrizz Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sallyhoward You are quite welcome.. There are more I am looking at to post tomorrow.

• cre8tiv369cre8tiv369 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

I’m on the fence as far as Comfrey goes. I’ve read a few things about the pyrrolizidine alkaloids causing liver damage and cancer, but I haven’t given it the research I need to decide one way or another. Just curious, has anyone done the homework on comfrey enough to feel confident it is good or bad? I’m still going to get around to doing my own reading (cus that’s how I roll), but I’m just wondering where others landed.

• herbantherapyherbantherapy Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭

@cre8tiv369 Dr. Patrick Jones has some great info on comfrey safety. Here is one video with him talking about it.

https://youtu.be/mUXzUPcOP8Q

• LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 3,056 admin
    edited May 26

I am of the camp that it is okay. It concerned me until I looked into it further. I have met people who have used it successfully internally & externally at the same time, with only good results & no negatives.

Also, Rosemary Gladstar has written quite a bit on this subject and states that the studies conclusions are flawed. As with most testing of a substance, more of the concentrated pyrrolizidine alkaloids were given to rats than we could possibly ingest. Pretty much anything can be toxic if concentrated & given at high doses. She too, used it quite a bit for healing a broken leg. Taking both ways sped up her healing by quite a bit.

It is certainly worth researching for yourself.

• toreytorey Posts: 2,063 admin

Susun Weed uses comfrey as one of the herbs for her nourishing herbal infusions that she rotates through. So she is drinking a quart of the strong tea about once a week. I wouldn't drink this on a regular basis cause I don't care for the taste but if I had a broken bone, I would. I agree that testing is usually done at much higher doses than what is usually taken in a tea. AS with many substances, a small amount is OK, even beneficial, while a larger amount may be toxic. And of course, Big Pharma doesn't want any plant cures that they can't patent, so it is beneficial for them to publish studies that show negative results for herbal treatments. For anyone really concerned about the pyrrolizidine alkaloids, you can use the homeopathic remedy, Symphytum officinale instead of taking comfrey internally.

Rosalee de la Foret has an article about the benefits of comfrey and she discusses the presence of the alkaloids. Apparently. there are less of the alkaloids in the leaves than the root and mature leaves are even lower. Here's the link: https://www.herbalremediesadvice.org/benefits-of-comfrey.html

I have also seen the suggestion that an alcoholic tincture will extract the alkaloids while a water or oil extraction will not. But I can't find the research for that.